Thread: Ada

Ada

Hey everybody, As a computer engineering student I have taken my share of programming languages to practice, hell I can even say im good at C++. However there is a porgramming language which raises my curiosity a lot and that is ADA. Just out of curiosity is there anybody who deals with it around here and can anyone recommend any books for it.
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

I'll go back and look at the ones I used to have to look for a directed individual study in Ada I had to take at my university. Ada always very much reminded me of pascal (I guess cause it was so verbose); however, it is a modern object oriented language and is pretty capable. With that being said, unless you are going to be doing some programming for DoD, I would devote some time to something else...

Will have some references for you tomorrow.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Thanx for the reply, nebulus, from what ure saying, there is nothing i could do with ADA that i couldnt do with C++???
    I mean in terms of their capabilities do u think C++ is more powerful??
    I Speak in frequencies even dogs have trouble hearing

Oh yes...and much more diverse in the number of platforms/areas that you will see it.
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    Ada95 is a very capable, full featured language. When security and stability are top concerns, accept no substitutes. Ada is not just limited to DOD work, you will find it as a requirement where ever software is needed that people could die if it fails.

Ada is far better structure than C/C++ but... C/C++ are faster and have more rapid dev times because they are so loose and it is easy to be sloppy, unlike Ada. However truth be told, it is fine for most applcations to be sloppy and security and stabilty need only be "good enough".

I also believe that gnat Ada was going to be included in gcc, this seems a bit ambitious for the open source community which seem to have no idea what standards are, so I doubt anything came from this, but it could be a place to look anyhow.

lastly:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

is an excellent book on the subject... I also think there is an Ada95 for C/C++ programmers book out there as well.

catch