Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Card Problem..

Video Card Problem..

I have a HP Pavilion dv6000 equipped with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 chipset graphics card, and I'm not sure if this is the proper term for it but my brother says it is so we'll go with it, but the video card apparently "takes a ****".

Assuming this is not the right term I'll explain what happens: The video card picks a rectangle of pixels and tiles it across the entire screen, simultaneously the laptop locks up and you are forced to reboot using the power button.

I got my entire MoBo replaced already because of a bad video card (under warranty), before the problem happened but not as often as it does now. Does anybody know the cause of this?

I was suspicious of the temperature but it occurred at ~60C last time and my video card has gone up to as much as ~90C I asked HP for the maximum temperature for my specific video card and it's ~100C. I also have a Thermaltake laptop cooler running under it. Help please?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

AOs Resident Troll
    Is it still under warranty??? Probably not.

Have you tried updating the drivers?? Hp may have a newer release.....or you could try an older driver (sometimes the older ones are more stable)

Are you using video intense applications??

Is it random?

Any info in the event log???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

That particular chipset is pretty unstable. I've had 2 or 3 of them burn out on me. One funny thing they always did was draw polygons in 3d games where one of the points would be a few hundred points away from where it was suppose to be. This was always my first sign that it was going out.

That dv6000 custom built or store bought?

I happen to be somewhat of an expert on those dv6000 machines.

You use AMD or Intel processor? (Most likely AMD, as you have an Nvidia chipset.)

Also, have you been having wireless connectivity issues? Bios updated? This an XP or Vista machine?

(I do phone support for HP.)

Hi Raion,

You need to consider that your laptop is a combination of components, not all of which can tolerate the same temperatures, but all of which contribute to the internal environment.

I have generally found that with desktops at least, strange things can start to happen once you get above 50C. I appreciate that laptops can take more, but I would also look at overall system temperature and not just the GPU. What for example is the CPU temperature when this happens?

Please make sure that all fans are working, and that the air vents are clear of lint, dust bunnies etc.

One thing that does occur to me is that your video chipset is sharing system memory, so a problem with that could produce the results you are describing.

I would suggest that you try MemTest86 and see if your RAM is basically OK.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Also as MLF mentioned; what are you doing when this happens?............like does it happen with a particular game or application?

Again, does it happen at random, or after a fairly consistent period of time?

What is your ambient (room) temperature?............... remember that with passive and air cooling your success will be relative to this.

Sorry for the late response, I've been a bit busy. I'll try to answer all the questions one by one.

Is it still under warranty??? Probably not.
    Yes, it is still under warranty.

Have you tried updating the drivers?? Hp may have a newer release.....or you could try an older driver (sometimes the older ones are more stable)
    Yes, there aren't any new updates available.

Are you using video intense applications??
    For the most part, no. I play F.E.A.R from time to time but I don't particularly have time for it. Now I just run a lot of Eclipse but it's all 2D programs I make. If that crashes my GPU then I'm throwing this out

Is it random?
    Yup

Any info in the event log???
    Silch.

That dv6000 custom built or store bought?
    Store bought.

You use AMD or Intel processor? (Most likely AMD, as you have an Nvidia chipset.)
    Right on the money.

Also, have you been having wireless connectivity issues? Bios updated? This an XP or Vista machine?
    No wireless connectivity issues yet (since I hear this is a common issue for this laptop). BIOS was updated when it was sent in for repair. And it's Vista Home Premium.

What for example is the CPU temperature when this happens?
    It's really hard to catch the CPU temperature when it happens because it is in fact random. I caught the GPU temperature last time because I happened to be doing absolutely nothing on my laptop (pretty much staring at it blankly) and looked at the temperature about 2 seconds before it happened.

I'm going to run the memtest immediately after class.
    It doesn't have a particular pattern of when it happens, I could be idling and it happens (I've come back from class to find it like that).
    I'd estimate that the room temperature here is ~22C or ~71F.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Thanks for the concise replies Raion,

From what you are saying, I would say that you do not have a temperature problem. The fact that this is a random event suggests that.

Please let me know if Memtest86 finds anything

I don't know if I'd rule out heat. We had issue after issue with Catia
    (Dassault's CAD app) on "certified" Lenovo T60p's running a 256mb ATI
    Mobility Fire GL vid card. Also had problems with an in-house CAD app
    we wrote. At least, that's how the issue started out. I was supporting
    4 engineers on these things and they were going onsite (USA, Israel,
    Japan, and many points in between), only to crash in the middle of
    presentations and what-have-you. It was a nightmare for us in support.

At first, we surmised the issue was Catia and even had a Lenovo service
    rep come onsite and replace the MB under the standard 3-year-warranty.
    To no avail apparently. Pretty soon, these things were locking up on all
    kinds of apps, even Outlook. Lenovo blamed Dassault, Dassault blamed
    Lenovo, no one wanted to own it. Eventually, we replaced all the T60p's,
    which were outstanding machines in my book, with Dells. I didn't stick
    around long enough to see how the composite engineers faired with the
    Dells, but I always wondered about any thermal issues. Anything that
    generates a lot of heat in a 3/4" thick case is going to give you grief sooner
    or later.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Well, after running the MemTest I get no errors. So I figure I'd post the stats it gave, maybe it'll be of more use to somebody else than it was to me:

Cached - 959M
    Rsvd Mem - 321M
    MemMap - e820-Std
    Cache - On
    ECC - Off
    Test - Std
    Pass - 2
    Errors - 0
    ECC Errs - [Empty Field]

Hmm, nothing wrong there. As you have an HP it should come with diagnostic software? an OEM version of PC Doctor for Windows or the like. You might try running that?

At this point it sounds like a dodgy video chipset or even the MoBo.

What I would suggest is that you attach an external monitor and see if that still has the problem? I have seen some strange things with laptop screens going bad, or at least connectivity components.

Having said that................ it is still under warranty, so there isn't much more you can do without invalidating that................. send it back.