In these forums. I see frequent mentions of ports,
(port 80 etc.) Now, I know, in the computer world,
there are a lot of different uses of the term.
What does in mean in internet/networking terms?
How many do you have?
What are the various ones for?
February 9th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Here ya go, read this thing.
February 9th, 2002, 01:26 AM
Here a post from negative it is a list with links to alot of information. Look under tcp/ip section there are many posts there from people with more knowedge than I. http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897
Also if you look about at tcp/ip information you will find out about ip address and such like and help you understand the funtion of the ports in greater depth. Cheak out this thread by Badassatchu http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=130966 it has information on ports and also what ports are used by trogens.
In msdos type in "netstat" this will list the ports your computer is currently using and connecting too. Hope this helps i know this does not answer your question directly but i hope you find what you want and maybe some more info that you find of intrest.
February 9th, 2002, 01:43 AM
>what are the various ports?
- SERVICES is file in the WINDOWS directory. it has all the ports, the connection type (protocol), what is it used for?
- this file doesnt have an extension so you'll have to open it up in notepad. i think you know how to do that? right?
if you dont:
- go into the WINDOWS directory
- click on the SERVICES file
- pop up will come up asking for which program you would like to open this file with
- choose "notepad" from the list
- make sure the the "always use this program to open this type of file" is NOT CHECKED.