norton av 2003
hello everyone. i just purchased a new hp pc. it came with norton antivirus 2003. after setup i turned it off so it wouldnt run in the background because hp tech support said that it might cause things to run slowly. but i would feel safer if it was set to auto protect my computer. this is my first computer and i dont know how to get it back the way it was. when i try to turn autoprotect on it says i have to restart and when it comes back norton still isnt running. no matter how many times i try it just wont autoprotect. thankyou in advance for the help.
I would speak to the hp tech support people or I would check out the Norton website for instructions
i have seen this issue before on my sons computer... i assume being its a "new pc" it probably has windows XP on it .... with that in mind, here is a possible fix ...
1) click start, run, type msconfig and click ok
2) when the dialog box appears, click on the startup tab
3) make sure that "ccApp" and "ccRegVfy" have a check mark beside them, click apply and ok
4) click start, run, type services.msc and click ok
5) here is the list of services, find "norton antivirus auto protect service", double click and change the disabled (if it is) to automatic and then click start.
6) follow the same step is #5 only this time find "symantic event manager" & "symantic password validation service"
.. i hope this helps.
you guys are on the ball with the answers!
thanks to all of you for helping me out. thanks jct21 for your step by step solution. i had no idea windows was so complex. but it fixed my problem. thanks again.