Changing the start button text
Ever wanted to change the text on your start button from 'Start' to something else... oh, let's say 'Linux'? :)
1. Download Resource Hacker, a ulility to "view, modify, add, delete and extract resources in 32bit Windows executables"
2. Create a copy of c:\windows\explorer.exe and name it explorer2.exe (keep it in the same folder as the original explorer file)
3. Open explorer2.exe in Resource Hacker. Expand String Table, then 37. Click on 1033
4. 578, "Start" <--replace "start" with whatever you want it to say on the button. After you've modified it, click the button that says Compile Script.
5. Now you need to change the default Windows shell from explorer.exe to the modified version. In regedit navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon. Modify the value called Shell to contain explorer2.exe instead of explorer.exe.
Once you have completed those steps, either log off or reboot. When you log on again, you should have a nice shiny customized start button :)
If you ever want to revert back to the original, just change the same registry key back to explorer.exe and you're set. Have fun.