Hi, I have a customer who has XP Media Center and when she is on her financial instituitions web site there are 2 out of about 10 links that she cannot access. I have tried permanently allowing popups from the site and lowering the security settings in IE options as well as setting all the defaults and nothing seems to be able to make these two links work. I tried it on a different machine running XP pro SP2 with popups allowed and it works on that one. What am I missing?
Thanks for any and all help.
Does she have anyother 3rd party AV or anti spyware that may be blocking it???
How about differences in the windows firewall settings???
Google tool bar or other pop up blocker???
Have you cleared the cookies and cache as they may still be holding onto "old information" you may also want to look into this: If you click Clear SSL State on the Content tab in the Internet Options dialog box, you can remove all client authentication certificates from the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) cache.
In an SSL session (using https://), when a server asks for a certificate to verify that you are who you say you are, the chosen certificate is saved in a cache. The chosen certificate can remain in the cache until you restart your computer. Clicking the Clear SSL State button removes all certificates from the cache without having to restart your computer. There may be something in there preventing her from getting in.
Is she able to access any ssl sites (like gmail)? I came across an issue on a friends computer where ssl site simply wouldn't load. I believe the solution involved doing something with dll's. I don't remember fully at the moment, but I can find out what it was if you want.
I'm going to have to agree with Tex on this one.
Your friends computer is obviously suffering from cache corruption. theres nothing that a quick emptying of the ie cache and maybe a defrag of the hard drive cannot fix..
Also give her computer a scan with Adaware and Spybot just to make sure that there isn't something else happening that shouldn't be happening. ;)
Dont forget you can clear the ssl state under the content advisor in internet options. You might also check the cypher strenght of the browser to make sure its still showing up as 128 bit. From time to time an update or service pack will corrupt the cypher.
Also make sure there arent any proxies set in the browser, some proxys (caching) will interfere with ssl sites.
Just to add is the person using a tooldbar in IE. Toolbars like Yahoo toolbar and Google toolbar also block pop-ups and if its a SECURE site why dont add it into TRUSTED site's list and set that to MEDIUM.
DONT EVER LOWER IE'S MAIN SECURITY LEVEL BELOW HIGH. SET IT TO HIGH AND FOR SITE'S you trust add them to TRUSTED SITE'S list and set its level to medium.
check with the financial software's tech support. one that we used requires a port be opened on the firewall (just for that ip)
Thank you very much everyone! It turned out to be Google toolbar and Yahoo toolbar both have their own popup blockers which I had to disable. But I did use the "clear SSL state" button and that's something new I learned. Thanks again!