I went to my aunt's house over the weekend, and she wanted me to look at a laptop she'd bought for $10 at a flea market. It's an HP Omnibook 4150, with 64MB RAM, a 366? MHz PII, and a 4Gb harddrive.
She wanted to know if she could upgrade anything so her neices could play games on it, and, being the awesome tinkerer I am, decide to take the harddrive out to see if it could be upgraded. I had to take the battery out first to get to the harddrive module (the harddrive is inside a black case with a plug on the side that plugs into a slot on the inside of the laptop), so I pulled that out, took the module apart to get to the harddrive, saw that it could be upgraded, put it back together, put it back in the laptop, slid the battery back in, and powered on the laptop.
Nothing. No POST. No BIOS screen. Nothing.
Oh, the power light comes on, and the CPU fan spins up for around 3 seconds, then dies away. It won't even turn back off until I pull the battery. The CPU isn't even getting warm, which leaves me to believe the board isn't getting much power. I've tried reseating the memory and the CPU and the harddrive.
Soooo, any suggestions?
The battery is probably dead.. Remove it then try starting it with the PSU.
Remove all power from the system, battery, ac adapter, etc. Press the power button about 10 times, then hold it for 10-15 seconds. Leave the battery out, plug in AC, and try again. That sometimes works.
So just a quick question... do you recall if it powered on before you took the HDD out?
If not that may be why they sold it for $10
If it did work before you took the HDD out then you may have not fully connected something when you hooked everything back up.
Nope, still nothing. It powered on fine before I took the drive out, so it must be a short somewhere.
Had a very similar problem the other day, it might not be related to yours but a few days ago i opened one of little dell desktop(hate working on cases with no space).
Done the little upgrade myself and when i put everything back same problem no power at all.
Tried all, then checked where the power button is inside the case the little wire which was connected with power button with motherboard was out.Imust knock it out while working.Hope its simple as that.
Good luck (sorry forgot to tell the light came out and fan was on for a few sec too)
It's probably a tiny ribbon cable without much play that got yanked out somewhere...I do that all the time. Good Luck
You might find this link useful:
I would suggest that you check all the connections and look at the I/O switch....... is there a small clear glass fuse, and is it inserted properly.
K, got it to boot again after taking out the IRda chip. Decided to try to install WinXP on it, so I shut it back down, and surprise...no more booting.