Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firewall

Originally posted by nebivedu
    I am realy sorry. I didn't told you that i need a good firewall for M$ win2k, because i work with autocad and autocad do not work under linux.

Nebivedu
    What I mean is that it should be safer to have one computer for firewalling and another one with your apps ...

Jean-Francois

duh

nebivedu: You havent been listening have you?

[i]Go to the local dump and find you´re self a 386´er or something like that. Go out and by two netcard adapters, and kick a linux dist into it, read the IPCHAINS-Howto and then you are rolling the dance floor with a firewall that rocks.
    [/B]

I've heard that the TPF is good. The one I use is ZoneAlarm. I have it operating systems ranging from win 95 all the way up to Win2k Prof. It has worked really good so far.

How would you set up a linux firewall?

Post iptables docs

cybermike_dk,

There are actually several howtos for iptables.
    do a search in google for:
    advanced routing howto
    iptables howto
    packet filtering howto

of course this requires a net connection, so you may be SOL on that, since you stated you have none.

However if you have iptables on your machine, then you should have the man page for it too.
    That will show you the command options and arguments. However it is fairly limited on explaining the concepts behind the options, so you learn the syntax from the man pages, but possibly not the concept, or practical application if it.

of course that is dependant on how good you are at trial and error, and improvising. :]

netbivedu,

The only firewalls I have ever seen in use in win systems are Zone alarm and black ice, as far as I can tell they work pretty good.

but the others are right. Having a separate firewall box is generally better than simple software firewalls.

Wink :)

i´ll look into it.

The reason why i picked ipchains is that when i installed my slack on the firewall box, i could choce between iptabels and ipchains,(which ofcourse was different kernels i installed) but i picked ipchains bicause i knew how to configure it lasy as i am

You should have chosen iptables, you can still use your ipchains script with iptables using loadable compatability modules