Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tutorial: IP Addresses: What are they and how do i find them

correct me if i am wrong but when you use netstat trying to get an aol ip all you are getting is aol's ip, not your chat partner. to get that, you must send them a file or have them send you one, and while it is in transfer use netstat because thats a direct connection.

Ever heard of books?

There is no doubt that there was some good information in his post, however, all of that information, and a lot more, can be found in the first chapter of any book on TCP/IP. Another good series of books are the ones published by Cisco. I recommend thier CCNA companion books as well as "Interconnecting Cisco Network Devices."

I have seen a few margainly accurate and informative tuorials floating around, but most of them leave many questions unanswered. If you really want to learn the concepts of networking, and the workings of various protocols, go find yourself a reputable book on the subject.

Personally, I prefer hardcopy versions of my books, however, I am sure that one could find the same titles in "ebook" format (without too much searching.)

If anyone has links to good quality books, that have been made available in PDF (or whatever), please post them. They will be much more helpful to someone who is trying to get a grasp on Networking concepts and Programming (Perl, C/C++, ...VB?)

--Sudo

so i heard 'they' are running out of ip addresses. so 'they' are trying to implement a 128bit hex addressing scheme instead. muahahahaa
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Hmmm. Ok. Basic stuff that's been around (several years?) but nice to see it compressed into one article I guess.

SUDO- Thnx.

I too had CCNA study flashbakx while reading that ip tut. But it is true, this stuff has been around for at least a decade and can be found in the introduction to any decent Networking book.

Still, I ain't hatin'. Just sayin'.
    OverandOut.
    ~comJo

---....Loading: 1x 2x 3x

str34m3r
    Did you all (except for VK of course) miss the part where HE STOLE THIS and posted it as if it was his own? You might want to try reading the entire discussion about a post before adding your own comments.

Originally posted here by str34m3r
    Did you all (except for VK of course) miss the part where HE STOLE THIS and posted it as if it was his own? You might want to try reading the entire discussion about a post before adding your own comments.
    Hey, *I* noticed. I posted links too.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

str34m3r
    I'm sorry Terr, I wasn't referring to you. You made your comments on this over six months ago. I was referring to the people TODAY who seemed to miss not only the age of the thread, but the comments where you and others showed that he had stolen the info.

Why is this tutorial negative? And why did the 2 that posted here get negs for it? I am just wondering 'cause I don't understand why they got them.