Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spyware

Arrow Media Player "Phones home"

Apparently Microsoft's Media Player "phones home" when you're watching DVD's. Here's the link .

Regards,

T6286

Thumbs up

Originally posted here by petemcevoy
    Afaik Steve Gibson acknowledged the lavasoft program as being superior to his and now just directs people towards thier site for thier spy-ware removal needs.
    I used OptOut since the day Steve Gibson originally turned it loose. At the time, there was a huge flap from Real about what they were doing, and it seems, if memory serves, that there was indeed a few bites in their bot that coud be used to identify induvidual users. What actually happened, as I recall from some time ago, was Gibson got busy on another project, and the time involved with updating the OptOut database and posting updates was eating his lunch. So he gave OptOut to the good folks at LavaSoft (Germany, as I recall, maybe I'm mistaken...) and they have done a great job of identifying and posting updates not only to the SpyBot database, but to the program as well. I downloaded the new version as soon as LavaSoft had it posted. You are all correct about the SpyBots, most of them are personally identifying, resource-disturbing, and totally invasive of your personal space, security and privacy. Of course, some bots you probably want, like the ones that ID you to sites you want to go back to without signing in all the time. What I did was kill all the cookies everywhere, then go to my favorite places (like Antionline) and run LavaSoft, then tell it to ignore that cookie. Then I'd go to my next place, (no stops in between), and tell it to ignore that one. Then whenever LavaSoft found another cookie, I just tell it to kill it. Maybe you have a better system?

with that sys admin being found guilty of theft of services, because he put distributed computing clients on the computers he administered.

I wonder if its possible to start a class action suite against those pillars of socity, like clicltowin, using the same argument? hitem' where it hurts.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Is it possible for a single program such as comet cursor to drop more than 1 spyware reference on to a computer? I thought it was really cool a couple years ago until I ran ADAWARE and came up with something like 124 spyware references all courtesy of comet cursor. Can this be or was I not reading something right.

Mike

I use SpyBot Search & Destroy. It found some things that Ad Aware didn't. http://www.safer-networking.org/