Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls

Talking

Or Netbus....a classic old school program that everyone cuts their teeth on! I think it's STILL one of the best port scanners around. Purely for educational purposes though.....

Hey ,

If you were to use linux , you could setup IPChains or IPTables

i have yet to see a product that can beat that..

anyways

anarki

I use Zonealarm Pro, and wouldn't trade it for anything. You can get the free version of zonealarm at zonelabs.com. The only big difference between Zonealarm and Zonealarm Pro, is that Pro is more customizible, but the free version will do everything you need it to.

Smile

zone alarm is a good choice has't failed me yet (crossing fingers)
    Life is like a **** sandwich,
    The more bread u have the less **** u have to eat

Banned
    BlackIce in my opinion is the winner, although ZoneAlarm is pretty damn good.

well i dont know about all these other firewalls but the only one i have used is Zone Alarm and it is great
    me

Banned
    Ennis, as Petemcevoy already stated, BlackIce does NOT block unknown programs...
    You can check this at GRC . And yes, I know about GRCsucks.com, but the link has a letter from Network Ice staff on it... You might want to check it out...

In my humble opinion I would not run a software firewall on the PC you are connected to the internet. I would run some form of NAT and firewall combo on your network. Personally I have a Netopia R910 router that does it for me. Though for the basic network novice, this is not an easy solution nor is it "cheap". Though with security you get what you pay for.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Or if you want a real firewall Cisco just released the PIX 501 small office firewall it runs about $600 but its a lot better than any firewall software.

Arrow Firewalls

http://www.firewallguide.com/

I found this site. Seems to carry a lot of information on different firewalls. Should provide enough basic information to spark some type of interest.

I have limited experience with the Watchguard SOHO, but at $449 it is a lot lower cost the a PIX and it has a 4-port hub built in.