Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Firewalls

anything free sides za and tiny?
    za has a lil glitch and tiny is just annoying when ur typeing so i was wondering is there any other free firewalls worth trying?

Thumbs up NeoWatch all the way....

I recently reformatted and thought i would try a different firewall. I previously used BlackIce but found out about several vulnerabilities it was subject to. I used ZoneAlarm for a while, but found it a little too restricting.

I am currently using NeoWatch and i must say that it is the best i have found so far. You can set up ranges of ports that it accepts(for programs like icq), and accept or ban certain ip's. It also has a very useful trace feature which you can use to find out both the route to the perpetraitor as well as details about them. Give it a go NeoWorx.com. You can also obtain the full version http://sling.to/fosi/

BlackIce is a good all around firewall, but you'll have to use it along with a trojan detection prog (e.g. the cleaner) or use some other means of denying access to specific ports (1243, 27374, etc...) commonly used by trojans. I have personally seen that familiar blue eye in the systray of systems I've used sub7 against (I know, I'm just a script kiddie ).

who isn't
    how many ppl haven't used sub 7 i mean at least playing
    u have to learn some how plus it's the quick way of removing the server from ur machine

....well now that you mention it....

In an effort to stay on topic, i might as well mention that personal firewalls like blackice and zonealarm are stateless,packet filtering firewalls, in that they can accept or deny a packet based on a set of rules such as port number or ip address, but they don't know if a packet is the result of an authentic request from the client machine or part of an attack. Whereas stateful firewalls like the netfilter part of the 2.4 linux kernel (of which iptables is a part) have a memory and can tell if a packet is the result of a legitimate request.
    As a rider to this i might also add that stateful packet filtering/mangling is not the panacea of network security either, as there is already a well known flaw in the ftp PORT command allowing an attacker to connect to any port if he has already comprimised (by some other means) the host behind the firewall.
    There's no such thing as 100% security when connected to a network.

Exclamation firewalls

well for the past few months i have been useing zonealarm i started out with the free version and liked it so i went a bought the full version and i must say it blows blackice out of the water
    i have never tried tiny and most likely will not, zonealarm has a easy and user friendly interface
    if u talk to some people they will tell u firewalls are crap and not to use them but if your like me and don't know all the cool stuff that most people on this site do your better off getting a firewall which ever it may be and if u are not currently using
    a firewall this site is what made me take a second look at why i needed one go to grc.com thy have some pc tests that might chang your mind well i hope this will help someone take care !
    Life is like a **** sandwich,
    The more bread u have the less **** u have to eat

Cool

NO doubt Zone alarm is one of the best firewalls , but be sure to download its new version cause in it s old version one can easily break into the firewall . This whole was spoted by few hackers and i have tested it and found right .
    The ZoneAlarm Version 2.1.10 to 2.0.26 allow the hackers to scan if one use a specific port.

Lightbulb

Be careful using Sub7 cause , ppl have created a new kind of defence whenever u scan ports for sub7 the system whom ur scanning if it contain that guard will reply u with alive ack, and u will immeditely try to get connected. As soon as you click connect button of ur cliecnt u will get connected and after 2-4 sec. u will get d/c and in the mean time from the other party (server side) a virus will be launched via that port u r connected and ur whole system will be crushed.

for the paranoids, what about Blackice AND Zonealarm ?
    Effe Bee