Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mcafee Virus Scan 6.0

dude, i think think we have someone that represents that mcafee peeples. can't take one persons word on stuff, always have to ask more than one person, and the competition.

-havanger

No, I'm not related to Mr. McAfee. I believe that Mcafee Virus Scan 6x is still buggy. Instead, I recommend your guys to use 5.12 for now. Mcafee picks up more viruses and trojans comparing to any other leading Anti-Virus software. This is always the problem with mcafee, their ideas are great, but the final product is always buggy. For example, Nut & Bolts 98 was extremly buggy. Also, there are currently no updates for Mcafee Virus Scan 6 (Virus definition).......

Maybe like a year later, then buy the Internet Security 4x from McAfee then....

Originally posted by lawrence171
    No, I'm not related to Mr. McAfee. I believe that Mcafee Virus Scan 6x is still buggy. Instead, I recommend your guys to use 5.12 for now. Mcafee picks up more viruses and trojans comparing to any other leading Anti-Virus software. This is always the problem with mcafee, their ideas are great, but the final product is always buggy. For example, Nut & Bolts 98 was extremly buggy. Also, there are currently no updates for Mcafee Virus Scan 6 (Virus definition).......

Maybe like a year later, then buy the Internet Security 4x from McAfee then....
    You just got done telling us how good McAfee 6 is, and trying to push it on us. Now you say it's buggy, and that we should go with 5.12. Make up your mind.

Bow to the Norton God

Personally I think that nothing good has ever come out of Mcafee labs at all. I'm gonna have to side with stflook as far as running the Norton Corporate 2002. It is an excellent program which has Smart Scanning which detects abnormal system activity as well as built in Script-Blocking which prevents virii like Nimda from being downloaded from the web. So acting like McAfee just invented those features isn't anything to get all hot and bothered about. I forgot to mention that Norton does make a firewall but unfortuneatly it isn't bundled with it's virus scanner (they decided they would use CD space on the virus scanner not useless firewalls). So Mr. I-work-for-McAfee I'm afraid that your opinion (which seems to change very quickly) doesn't faze me at all.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Let's also not forget that McAfee has the WORST security defaults possible.

Well, I didn't throughtly test out the product before recommanding it. Well, let's be honest here, Mcafee was 100% speciallized in Anti-Virus Software untill they brought Cybermedia, and Conseal.

However, I believe that you should stick to Mcafee 5.x for now, wait until the technology gets better.

Norton, I personally found that they're now just money grabbing son-of-bitchs. They're not as detercated to computing as they used to be. For example, their Firewall from beginning (which was very good) to now (which has much less functions and less protection)! Also, they tend to shuff garbage codes into their program too. The demo version of the Personal Firewall is like 10MB and comparing to any other firewall that has the same function (only better), it's much larger!!!!

Can you be more specific as to why you think that Norton is just a bunch of "money grabbing son-of-bitchs"?

Now, their Virus Scan is OK, and I could say nothing about it (except maybe for the POP3 e-mail anti-virus). Let's take their "Personal" security product line for example. Norton Personal Firewall, cost a bargan, lack of feature. This firewall cost about $50USD, and it only comes with the world's most basic feature. Intrustion Detection, I pretty sure that it's not really a real intrustion detection system. Neowatch also claims that their Firewall also has intrustion detection system, but when I took it up for a test drive, it's just a basic firewall(test out Norton, too). What Norton Personal Firewall does is basically what Tinysoft Personal Firewall does, or Zonealarm does.

Also, comparing to Norton Internet Security 2000 ver. 2.0, you can see that Norton has reduced the features of the program. Like $50 USD??? REally Worth it?????

Sorry lawrence but, McAfee sucks.

I have used McAfee since the early DOS versions. It was the number one overwhelming cause of the BSOD's that I got under Win9x.

Now, with Win 2000, it was the cause of many conflicts in IExplorer 6.

After some discussion with McAfee, the best they could tell me to do was to downgrade to IE5x.

The auto update has never worked for me and downloading and installing the updated DAT files caused a lockup on reboot every time.

Sorry, yesterday, I bought my first Norton A/V software (2002).

So far, I'm very happy.

McAfee just lost a customer.
    KapperDog

Originally posted by lawrence171
    Now, their Virus Scan is OK, and I could say nothing about it (except maybe for the POP3 e-mail anti-virus). Let's take their "Personal" security product line for example. Norton Personal Firewall, cost a bargan, lack of feature. This firewall cost about $50USD, and it only comes with the world's most basic feature. Intrustion Detection, I pretty sure that it's not really a real intrustion detection system. Neowatch also claims that their Firewall also has intrustion detection system, but when I took it up for a test drive, it's just a basic firewall(test out Norton, too). What Norton Personal Firewall does is basically what Tinysoft Personal Firewall does, or Zonealarm does.

Also, comparing to Norton Internet Security 2000 ver. 2.0, you can see that Norton has reduced the features of the program. Like $50 USD??? REally Worth it?????
    Whoa. I thought we were talking about their virus scanner. So, what's so bad bout Norton's VIRUS SCANNER (not firewall)?