Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seeking some advice

another tip for getting rid of the chance to have ".txt" on the end, is to do the following.
    in name box: enter "program.cpp" wihtout quotes.
    below, where it says "text files .txt" change to "all Files"

but of course, the quotes may be easier
    visit clublouie.com!!

I suggest you start with Python. It isn't too steep and will supply you with the knowledge you'll need to jump into the more difficult languages, such as C++, Pearl..etc.

BASIC is out of the question, it is more of toy than a programming language.(No offense to any BASIC-heads out there, just my opinion)

Question Simon Templer(or others)...

I have DGJPP(*sp), and I would like it if I could write the text in notepad or word, so if you would, could you please tell me how it could be done with DGJPP without having to actually start DGJPP? Thanks.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

DJGPP

Hello Kezil,

I'm not too familiar with DJGPP, but according to what I have read..."DJGPP uses a version of the GNU C compiler called GCC (GNU C Compiler)" GCC is a command line compiler so you should be able to create your source file in any text editor and use GCC to compile.

According to the DJGPP documentation you can type the following to compile your source code:

gcc [sourcefile.c] -o exename.exe

You can read more about DJGPP at the following site:
    http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

Again, I'm not too familiar with DJGPP, so hopefully someone else has used it, and maybe the documentation will help

Also, I noticed in your post that you mentioned Word, I would recommend against this, because not only does Word save the file incorrectly, but the AutoCorrect feature changes your code. I personally just use regular old Notepad, DOS' Edit or any other text editor (Just be sure to save the file with a .c extension.

Or if you prefer syntax highlighting, you might want to go to Download.Com and look for either EmEditor, or SynEdit. Both provide syntax highlighting options for several languages. SynEdit seems to be the best though, because you can configure it to automatically compile your source with a click (Which makes it like an IDE).

If no one here has used DJGPP, and if you are still needing help, Let me know , and I will download it.
    Good Luck & I hope this helps
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Talking Thanks

Thanks Simon, that was exactly what I wanted to know. I really just should of read the documentation, sorry. Anyway, I only mentioned word in the unimaginable case I might have to use, I've already learned how bad it messes code up in my HTML class. Those text editors look nice too. Again, thanks.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Kezil, No Problem

Kezil

No Problem and No need to apologize, I'm glad you asked otherwise I wouldn't have looked into DJGPP. We both learned something

I'm glad you found my post helpful, and I'm glad you posted your question Thanks
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

On the topic of what to write your code in, I'd recommend GWD Text Editor as, it offers syntax highlighting for C++ and others, and doesn't do the annoying "add an extra extension" trick...

It isn't free.. but it doesn't stop working when the demo expires, it just asks more frequently for you to register it....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"