Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Zone Alarm...

Originally posted by uraloony
    [B]Casper why did you say uncheck it now?

[/B ]
    Thats how you turn off the popup alerts

Originally posted by uraloony
    When you use ZoneAlarm (the newest free version 2.6) go to Alerts and uncheck the box that says "Show the Alert Popup window". It stops the popups and uses very little system resources.
    That was basically what i just said too.
    I said "On ZA just go to the alerts tab and then uncheck the 'Show the alert popup windows.'" Which is the about the same as yours.

I just tried hacker whacker and it came right up
    The link on my previous post came right upand went there. So I am not sure why you can't reach it.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

now there is

he now there is update for ZoneAlarm now it can run on WinXP
    he so users on XP should get update for this new version of Zone Alarm

______ ______ ______ ______

I Am D3stR0y3r

______ ______ ______ ______

Talking Zoneing out again

I use zone these days with a few others tools ***
    I did have it running with black ice and tiny + another background jobbie but things to to be to conflicting so i had to drop a few

(i hear black ice isnt to sharp because you dont have as much control as you do with zone alarm)
    Ingoing outgoing..ect

I think its good, i dont know many free firewalls that do the job aswell as zone.......???? add input here....?????

[QUOTE]Originally posted by larryjs
    [B]Go to http://www.grc.com to see how good Black ice works. It totally sucks. use Zonealarm.

People really need to stop taking ever thing that Steve Gibson says as the only truth. His write up on BlackIce was very poor. Of course it isn’t going to stop a program from "calling home" it was never designed to. He loaded it on a box that was already infected with a trojan and then claimed BlackIce didnt work. I personaly feel that the man has no right to give anyone security advice.

Both ZoneAlarm and BlackIce are good products, ZoneAlarm is free however you do have to pay for the Pro version.

Banned
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by BOFH
    [B]
    Originally posted by larryjs
    Go to http://www.grc.com to see how good Black ice works. It totally sucks. use Zonealarm.

People really need to stop taking ever thing that Steve Gibson says as the only truth. His write up on BlackIce was very poor. Of course it isn’t going to stop a program from "calling home" it was never designed to. He loaded it on a box that was already infected with a trojan and then claimed BlackIce didnt work. I personaly feel that the man has no right to give anyone security advice.

Both ZoneAlarm and BlackIce are good products, ZoneAlarm is free however you do have to pay for the Pro version.
    Thank god someone agrees.

Banned
    Originally posted by Bastard Operator of Hell
    His write up on BlackIce was very poor. Of course it isn’t going to stop a program from "calling home" it was never designed to. He loaded it on a box that was already infected with a trojan and then claimed BlackIce didnt work. I personaly feel that the man has no right to give anyone security advice.
    I don't get you, BOFH. "it was never designed to (stop a program from "calling home")"... Why are we discussing the use of BlackIce as a firewall then? If I infect my box with a trojan (let's say from a CD) and that trojan 'phones home', isn't a firewall supposed to warn me then? Yes, a firewall is, but BlackIce isn't, unless it's a know trojan... That's what it all comes down to: 'it was never designed to'... (Quote from Network ICE on http://grc.com/lt/responses.htm : "The leaktest is a specific program designed to test the "User-Initiated Outbound Blocking" feature of certain personal firewalls. It is not a generic hacker test, nor it is a test of your computer's security. In fact, leaktest does not do anything malicious. If it was a hacker program, we would add it to the list of detected Trojans, just like we detect BackOrifice and SubSeven. "). Meaning, if I would write a trojan, BlackIce would NOT detect it (at least not untill Network ICE finds out about it)...
    I'm not saying Steve Gibson has 'the only truth', but usually he knows what he's talking about... And he has every right to write about whatever he wants

larryjs

An answer to BOHF

The program did a little more than "phone home"
    "Where the **** is ET!!!" It implemented a DOS attack on another
    machine!!As for "loading it on with a trojan already installed" Try it with Zone Alarm . I did! and zone alarm not only stops it from "phoning home" it also stops the DOS attack as well.Black ice users have been ripped off .Once again I say"Black ice sucks use Zone Alarm.

Banned

Thumbs up

Man, you guys really dispese BlackIce.
    Anyway Ill change simply to keep yall happy but I have no grudges against BlackIce.

wow

I never expected to get a response like this...wow...i guess i will be expecting to keep Zone Alarm...I never planned on installing Black Ice...I don't like paying for something before I try it...and I don't mean some cheap shareware good for a month full of nags and crap...Zone Alarm I will keep...thanks for everyones input...appreciate it much

I've tried out a bunch of the free personal firewalls and
    personally settled on Tiny Personal firewall.

I liked TPF because it lets me get down and dirty in
    the rules rather than permitting and application
    to communicate on any port like ZA does. ZA Pro
    addresses this.

That said, I recommend ZA to friends who don't want
    to get dirty coz it's pretty easy to get up and going
    with ZA.

Marc