Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat 7.1 getting online?

Exclamation Red Hat 7.1 getting online?

I need help to get my computer online. I just installed Red Hat and it says that there is no modem connected to it. I kicked of windows 98 (which worked fine).It's a 56k PCI voice modem.I use a dial up connection. I keep on getting error messages. It's a gateway computer so I don't have any of the drivers, thanks to windows.So far I like it, and I want to keep it, this seems to be the only problem that I have.

Do I need to install a differnet driver for the modem to use under red hat?
    How do I connect to the internet?
    Do I need to get another ISP after I get it to detect a modem?

If you can get on a computer that is online do a search for drivers for that modem. Or you can goto the companys web site that made the modem and see if they have drivers.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Computer Forensics
    if your modem doesn't work in redhat... look here : http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/genpage2.cgi
    to see if its compatible. If it says community knowledge, then ask in a RH forum or try a generic ppp driver. It may be a winmodem....In that case it's probably incompatible.

hope this helps
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

There's a good chance that, as hogfly said, its a winmodem - basically a winmodem is a device that uses software to do hardware emulation, and that software is. naturally, windows based. I always thought it was a better idea to have an external/hardware modem as its not eating up processor cycles to do its job but in these crazy days of 2ghz processors it probably doesn't make much difference.
    There's a page to help you use your winmodem on your linux boxen at http://www.linmodems.org/

man i tried too

hey i tried too to instal red hat and i couldnt instal x my graphic card was stupid heheh
    and for mandrake i tried that too and i got this error
    rpm-qpl/mandrake/RPMS/*.rpm
    i dont know wthic component is making that error but if someone knows please post here and help me (: <
    thenk you all

-_-_-_ -_-_-_ -_-_-_ -_-_-_

I Am D3stR0y3r

-_-_-_ -_-_-_ -_-_-_ -_-_-_

when you are installing I ussualy choose everything that is under x windows category. Then while your installing the setup program should ask you what type of video card, how much mem is in video, what type moniter, and all the little details about your video. Sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it but it works great when you do.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Thenk you casper

he thenks kasper3699 i tried all kind of things and it didnot work heeh i dono am not that good at linux but am learning

______ ______ ______ _____

I Am D3stR0yer

______ ______ ______ _____

sure. I am still learning too. I set up a Linux box with Red Hat 7.1 on a HP dual Pentium 100 box and it took me a couple of tries but i finally got it up and running. I am trying to learn about using the web server portion of it right now but it crashed when i pulled the wrong computer's power plug.eek:

I learned that for login screen that you shouldn't set it for login using X. It gets to where it boots up and ask your user name and password under x windows then the machine crashes. I need to run a rescue system or figure out how to bypass the x win. login.:

You need to edit the file /etc/inittab, change the default runlevel from 5 (X) to 3 (full multiuser mode, text based login) , the syntax is pretty easy to understand.

thanks for the help i'll try that