Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Net Bios

Question Net Bios

Anyone know of a website or tutorial or what not that explains the workings of windows net bios. What it does exactly and how it works? In depth or not, anything will help.

Thanks.
    Raven

Netbios a.k.a. port 139 a.k.a. file sharing port

Originally posted by limp1058
    Netbios a.k.a. port 139 a.k.a. file sharing port
    Port 139? I thought it used 137/138?
    Q: Why do ducks have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out forest fires

Q: Why do elephants have big flat feet?
    A: To stamp out flaming ducks

Arrow

It uses 137 TCP/UDP, 138 UDP, and 139 TCP.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Banned
    netbios-ns 137/tcp NETBIOS Name Service
    netbios-ns 137/udp NETBIOS Name Service
    netbios-dgm 138/tcp NETBIOS Datagram Service
    netbios-dgm 138/udp NETBIOS Datagram Service
    netbios-ssn 139/tcp NETBIOS Session Service
    netbios-ssn 139/udp NETBIOS Session Service

NetBios Names are the names of Microsoft machines. They contain 16 characters: 15 alfanumeric ones, and one special character to assign functionality. There are 3 possibilities for Name Resolution for NetBios Names: broadcasts, LMhosts files or WINS server (depends on type of node). Node selecting is done in registry.

Node types:

b-node broadcast mode (broadcast)
    p-node point-to-point mode (WINS server)
    m-node mixed mode (broadcast, then WINS)
    h-node hybrid mode (WINS, then broadcast)

NetBios Lookup:

1. NetBios Name Cache --> 2. NetBios Name Server --> 3. Broadcast --> 4. LMhosts file --> 5. Hosts file --> 6. DNS Server.

NetBEUI (NetBios Extended User Interface):

Nodes don't have a logical adress, NetBios names are used instead. This protocol is NOT routable! No logical adress means broadcasts must be used all the time --> creates an enormous ammount of broadcasts --> this sucks!
    The only advantage: it's soooo easy to use.

You can install the NetBeui protocol when you want to enable file-and-print sharing --> you don't bind TCP/IP with File And Print Sharing, but instead you bind NetBeui to it...

Hope this helped you out...

google.com, use their directory search, their plain search is cool too. 99.9% of the time, you'll find what you want there.

Question Raditz

You're really big on this google thing, aren't ya?

Google is the answer to all our problems!

Not really, that position is taken by Duct Tape!
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

port 139 is for netbios u can hack any system whose netbios file sharing is unable and who is sharing his HD u can upload backdoor in the victim system and u can run it and after that u can use ur trojan to get connected but to prevent urself simple install firewalls , basically the problem i have mentioned here is with WIN NT users if im not mistaking. There is something abt LMHost file ( as mentioned by Negative) u have to alter it ur using win NT , u have to enter the IP and the directory which he/she is shraing and then u can browse the victim like u browse ur explorer

I will post detail ( my own ) in new thred.

Ok, KakoKool, you only one thing in mind, being displeasant, aren't you ?

Someone asks details on a particular protocol, and you come back "Yeah, you can HaXoR this l4m3r ..."

If only you posted something really useful ... but no!

Jean-Francois

Re: Net Bios

Hello,

You may have a look to this :

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-b.../EZ306201/4.18

I read it, it's quite interesting. Don't forget you can also have a look at the RFC covering this!

Jean-Francois