Thread: Question about Documentary

Question about Documentary

I was wondering if anybody saw that documentary "Hackers: Computer Outlaws" on TLC last week. For those of you that watched it i was wondering what you thought of it?

I'm wondering what you think of it if you saw it.

I thought that it was very interesting. For those of you that missed it it started out with when phones first came out. They talked about how people "Phone Phreaks" started playing with the phone systems and learn the ins and outs of the system. They talked about the blue bow and how it was used to make free calls. They said that Steve Wozniak, Founder of Apple Computer, was the first hacker that started a revolution. and they also said "Captain Crunch" was the first phreak. When they started talking about the computers they said the first one was the Altair. I've heard of it but never saw one.

The first computer group was the Homebrew computer club. They first had there meetings in a garage but got bigger so they moved to a larger meeting area. They lasted for a while. During the meetings they spread around what info they learned and helped each other fix problems that they had. The club only lasted a few years because after a while they started to go into buisiness for them selves and didn't want the competetors to learn what they are making.

They also talked a little about Kevin Mitnick. How he was arrested and ran from the FBI. The one person that I am suprised that they didn't talk about was Kevin Poulson. Kevin Poulson was more of a notorious hacker than kevin mitnick was. The FBI charged Mitnick with more than worth of stolen computer data.

John Markoff wrote very good book about Mitnick. I can't find it right now but when i do i will post the name. Jonathan Littman also wrote a good book called "The Watchman." I would recommend them to be read.

Later for now
    Casper
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

By the way that book that I said was by John Markoff is actually written by Jonathon Littman. And it is called "The Fugitive Game, Online With Kevin Mitnick" They are very good books.

Seems like nobody really cared for my post
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Your post

Not a bad post truthfuly, its just that te show is kinda old, i saw it about two or three months ago.Isnt the one where they talk about the first convetion and how everyone wore masks and etc.... and Capn crunch, im not sure he was the first.... it was some blind dude that thaught him are sumn like that...... but yea i thought it was interesting....