Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Networking - Help

Question Networking - Help

I'm trying to find out how to get several modems working on a LAN at the same time. I have one 56k modem on a windows 2000 (NT) system, and a second 56k on a windows 98 system. The two computers are networked together, and internet connection sharing seems to be working fine. Was wondering if anyone knew of a program/trick to get both modems working together, instead of it working with only the closest one.

Why would you possibly want to do that? It wont go any faster.
    Tsk Tsk that \'vB Code is ON\' is really tempting me.. No bad prof.! BAD!

im pretty sure you can use 2 modems on 2 different phone lines to go faster, its in the internet config in windows, called multilink, or some crap like that, i beleive...could be completely wrong, but thats what i heard a long time ago.

It is true. If two phone lines are being used. In this case, I doubt that is what he meant because of this:
    instead of it working with only the closest one
    Sure the signals going through the network would slow it down slightly but it doesn't really eat up very much bandwidth. I don't seem to be understanding the purpose of it.

Ya, i wasnt exactly sure what he wanted...but just the whole "2 modems workin together" thing...

Thumbs up

I read an article @ pcworld.com on running dual modems. Obviously, you need a second phone line and away you go. It does claim to double connection speed......

But wouldn't it be easier, and in some areas cheaper, to get..say..DSL? Like in my area an extra phoneline doubles my local bill and for a measly $25 more I could get DSL and for $15 more than that, cable.

Ya, thats true. I spend less on cable than i do on dialup and a second phone line...but im pretty sure the whole multilink thing was from when people didnt have easy access to cable, when it was expensive and barely available in some areas.

Lightbulb Clarification

Ok - perhaps I didn't explain it well
    A picture is worth a thousand words, so:

Windows 2000 Machine (NT Base)
    . __
    .[==]
    .[==]---[Modem A]
    ====
    ====
    . |
    . |
    . |
    . [Lan Hub]----------[Other windows 98 computers]
    . |
    . |
    . |
    ._|_
    .[==]
    .[==]---[Modem B}
    ====
    ====<------ Windows 98 Machine (DOS base)

Both modem connections are shared on the network, but when
    you are using the net, the computer you are on only looks for the closest connection. If you are on the windows 2000 machine, it totally ignores the windows 98 connection, and vice versa. If you're on another computer (all of them are windows 98), you only get one modem at a time - it picks them based on fastest response. What I'd like to do is make it so that both modems work together on any computer to increase bandwidth. (Modem A is downloading half the graphics files for a site, Modem B is downloading the second half of the files).

Availability

I'm WAAAAAAY out in the boonies. Phone is all I can get without paying about three million dollars to get a satelite for my region or lay cable up to where I live.