Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Firewall all ****ed up now...

Well, I think the chain of usage was from system.ini, rather than the registry. I think that ZA just somehow didn't remove them quite right in that instance. (These were VXDs and DLLs)
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Question

Has anybody on here used Norton's Firewall?

I've managed to 'obtain' a copy of the 2002 version and I would appreciate any input from someone who has used it, before I install it.
    I've currently got TPF installed, but I'm having a couple of proplems with it on my Windows XP Pro install, so I'm currently looking for alternatives.

Cheers.

I have tried a number of firewalls and quite like Tiny, I have it running on NT4 and it runs great, I have not experienced an problems with it, but I was using the latest version of zone alarm and had a lot of problems with that but it is a good firewall.

Originally posted by Terr
    Well, I think the chain of usage was from system.ini, rather than the registry. I think that ZA just somehow didn't remove them quite right in that instance. (These were VXDs and DLLs)
    Edit: I was wrong. Registry. Bleh. Icky registry.

REAL Edit:
    DOH! I meant to EDIT that last post for the sake of posterity, not to QUOTE it... Sorry, didn't mean to push this thing back up to the surface! Down boy, down!
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

I am using Tiny now and i didn't have any problems but who knows they might come up later. But while we on this subject i was just wondering having a tiny firewall does it open any high ports on a box. My box is now listening to a port 44334 udp and tcp so i was just curios. I added rules to block any traffic from and two this port. This only appeard after installing Tiny?!?

Re: Tiny Firewall all ****ed up now...

Originally posted by Terr
    Well, I decided to download the 2.0.14 version (or something like that) of the Tiny Personal Firewall, and it seemed to work for a while...
    I had a similair problem last week..
    A local company was totally exposed to the Internet and needed a solution fast..

Meanwhile waiting for the hardware router, decided I to do a quick and dirty solution (read Tiny)..

I installed Tiny and a lots of services stopped to work and when uninstalling the program Tiny also uninstalled some files needed for Win terminalservices or maybe Tiny replaced them during installation, I'm not sure yet..

You can guess that I was happy and had a big shiny face almost divided in half due to the big grin..

5 min work ended up in 8 hours of phonecalls with consults and reinstalling the "nice" computer..

The internet connection did work all the time though :-).

--
    //Learn from the wise and do a RTFM before do quick and dirty solutions !!

I have been tinkering with TPF 2.0.15 for a little while now, and I have had nothing but problems. I would get it loaded and enstate filter rules and so on and all was fine...until I closed my internet connection and dialed in once again. Once connected to my ISP, I couldn't resolve any web pages at all. I mean nothing. I also have ZonaAlarm 2.6 and that has worked great since I downloaded it over a year ago (although it wasn't 2.6 back then). Once I disabled TPF, and re-enabled ZA all was well. I am quite baffled by now. I am running XP Home edition in case anyone was curious. If there is anybody out there with similar problems with a similar system let me know.

I'm using ZoneAlarm for my home PC (Win98.2ndEd) and I discovered some of the same things you guys have said - I found that if I uninstalled ZoneAlarm completely, then tried to go online, I couldn't resolve any pages. I would connect to my ISP, but I couldn't bring any pages up - reinstalled ZoneAlarm, everything worked fine. I figured that the uninstaller didn't quite get all the files removed and there was some sort of discrepancy but I haven't had the chance to dig deep into Windows to find those files. So thanks Terr, for telling me where they are at - saves me a little time. And eeshman, was this the first time that you disabled ZoneAlarm? You may have had similar problems to mine.

Maverick811 - This was the first time that I disabled ZA. What I did was just started my computer and then closed out ZA completely and started Tiny Firewall. I couldn't resolve web pages, however I was connected to my ISP. At first I thought I had entered the filter rules incorrectly into the TPF administrator console, but I had it running fine the first time I put them in so it very well could be a problem with ZA. I am going to try to completely uninstall ZA and then run Tiny and we'll see what happens.

ZA and BlackIce work very well together so why not try them together?