Thread: Could someone help me with a BSD problem

Question Could someone help me with a BSD problem

Hi I have a openBSD server running as a gateway and i was wondering if there was anyway to masquerade the ip address? Or if there was anyway to get rid of the email headers when you send that mail so it does not show you were it was sent from. This would be of great help thank you.

Re: Could someone help me with a BSD problem

Yes, it is possible to make that happen.

IPNAT/IPF are done for that.

If you need more info, just ask!

Jean-Francois

Question

Well, how do you go about it ? Do you just have to configure it so that it displays false information or is there some special way to go about it ?

Arrow

i was wondering if there was anyway to masquerade the ip address?
    you just have to configure it so that it displays false information
    Masquerading is just being a router - all the computers behind the router can talk to the internet using just the router's IP. You cannot, though, hide the router's IP if that was what you meant.

Or if there was anyway to get rid of the email headers when you send that mail so it does not show you were it was sent from
    You can get rid of some email headers, but not the IP of where it was sent from.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Originally posted by linuxcomando
    Well, how do you go about it ? Do you just have to configure it so that it displays false information or is there some special way to go about it ?
    You want to modify information in the mail header ? It will be possible, but only on your server. Look for the "masquerade" in sendmail (or whaterver MTA you are using).

When connecting to its peer, the peer will add your IP as being 'Received from : <your ip>' into the mail header.

But unless I can see exactly what you want to do ...

Maybe you can also try to find an anonymous mail server on the net, which will strip off any information about you ?

Jean-Francois