Thread: Insanity is a virtue...

Insanity is a virtue...

Since I am the post whore and my messages take up useful space...here is another chunk of crap for you to sink your teeth into. What are known faults with Intel and Amd processors? Also, my motherboard is now supporting a two gig harddrive...I'm not sure what type of motherboard it is but I can tell you it is a Gateway Astro...I would like to stick a larger harddrive into it...does anyone know if I would have any conflicts with the size of the new harddrive...such as it being split into a bunch of two gig partitions or anything of the sort...do a search for Gateway Astro specs and check on motherboard. I would appreciate any information leading to the apprehension of the people who brought my antipoints down to 3...I am sure after this thread...I will be down to a negative number...but that's how it is used to weed the l@m3rz (me) from the l33t (the ones who **** on me)...thanks all for any contribution to my destruction...appreciate it...

What are known faults with Intel and Amd processors?
    Intels are slower than AMD. Example a Intel Pentium 650 is the same as a AMD 500.
    Also, my motherboard is now supporting a two gig harddrive...I'm not sure what type of motherboard it is but I can tell you it is a Gateway Astro...I would like to stick a larger harddrive into it...does anyone know if I would have any conflicts with the size of the new harddrive...such as it being split into a bunch of two gig partitions or anything of the sort...do a search for Gateway Astro specs and check on motherboard.
    As for this one there should not be a problem in putting in a bigger one.
    Hope that helps
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

thanks

thank you...i hope it helps too

Banned
    Originally posted by Casper3699
    Intels are slower than AMD
    Now that is the stupidest generalisation I've heard in a long time.

What are you talking about? MPEG4-encoding? Games? Business apllications?

Here's a quote from John Carmack from id Software (DOOM, Quake series)
    It is sort of interesting how I really haven't cared about the changes in processors since AMD introduced the Athlon. Intel was the clear favorite when AMD and Cyrix had shitty FPUs, but now it really doesn't matter much to us if someone chooses an Intel or AMD processor.
    We may have some SIMD paths in the new codebase, but they certainly won't be as important as the graphics card in determining the gaming experience.
    AMD used to be faster than Intel when it came down to MPEG-encoding (AMD's Duron 800 used to beat Intels Pentium 800, don't know about the current situation though).

And for business application use, does it matter how fast your CPU is? (I'm not talking about CAD-design and stuff here).

You also might want to check this out.

Or, if you really are interested in the Need for Speed (?) discussion: http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...eviews/1826/1/ .