Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer tip

Lightbulb computer tip

here's a handy tip for the budding computer user. when your PC is in the process of loading up press delete and you will enter the CMOS setup screen write down all the settings here because if your computer get's trashed you will need to input those settings for your computer to run properly
    G.G.

I don't know if I would have posted that for the newbies. If a novice user gets into the BIOS, they're more likely to do damage than good. It's too easy to screw a computer up in there, and if they're not ready to tackle the BIOS, they're CERTAINLY not likely to be able to find the reset jumper on the motherboard when they screw up.

thats why I wrote don't change any settings.
    G.G.

You're right I should have just added don't change any settings.
    P.S. did the Antionline server crash/turn off yesterday around 6:00 P.M.
    G.G.

congratulations grigri9 , this is the most pointless post i have read so far in these forums (;

What i have to add to it is this : newbies by all means fiddle with your bios settings, you might learn something, just use common sense , the manual , and remember what you changed since no bios setting i know of actually prevents you to return to the bios and fix what you just changed.
    Smile ... tomorrow will be worse

Actually, I know of at least one that does. One time, when I was checking and changing something, I set my RAM to top performance by mistake. When I rebooted, it wouldn't even get to the BIOS. I had to open up the tower and pop the reset jumper. I was one very unhappy computer geek.

Stflook - everything is possible (;
    But if you wouldnt have done this then you wouldnt know that this was possible and then i wouldnt know it either so this can only be a positive thingie.

And that is why i still urge all people to fiddle, it´s the best way to learn even though it could be an expensive way (p;

Pheuff .... i need to get some sleep, my fingers have taken over my brain !

I agree with you to some extent, but if they screw up their BIOS like that, and have to pop the reset jumper, odds are they won't be able to. I agree that some fiddling is good, but look at it this way. Your BIOS is like nitroglycerine. If you treat it well and don't mess with it, it's perfectly fine. But if you mishandle it, it's likely to blow up on you. Plus, it takes a knowledgeable person to be able to handle it safely. With that in mind, would you want an untrained or novice person messing with their BIOS?

i have to admit i reset by BIOS settings more than twice.....but followed the book........worked out nicely too......my 98 box shuts down properly now.....even for a n00b like mE....

Like i said stflook ... the use of common sense is important, but of course i understand your logics and agree with them to some extent also.

At least for me , fiddling with stuff has been my best teacher.