Thread: cd-rom trouble shooting help!

Angry cd-rom trouble shooting help!

hi guys, here's wut happens

Im running windows 2000 prof

whenever I try to access my cd-rom, there's a pop up message saying "M\: is not accessible. invalid function."

wut the hell is that? I never seen this message before.. someone please tell me how to solve this problem.. whether I have a cd inside the cd-rom driver or not.. it always come up with the same message I mentioned earlier.

my cd-rw however is still working.
    I tried reinstalling both drivers for my cd-rom and cd-rw.. doesnt work..

there's a hardware resources sharing conflict on IRQ 10, a pci to usb universal host controller and my sound card both using IRQ 10.. please tell me how to change these numbers..

eom

I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure without looking at it myself. My hunch is that the drive is dead or dying. Can you hear the drive spin-up? Does it even try to spin up? Have you tried more than one CD?

The first thing you need to try is rebooting. If this doesn't solve your problem, keep reading.
    If the drive doesn't even spin-up, it's probably totally dead. Go buy a new one at the nearest computer store, and slap it in.
    If it tries and fails to spin-up, try another CD. If it does the same thing, get a new drive.
    If it appears to read the CD, try another one. If the same thing happens, get a new drive and see what happens.

Note: If your drive appears to be dead, before you get a new drive, open up your computer and check the existing drive for either a loose power cord or a loose IDE (I assume you're running it on IDE) cable. Be sure to check the other end of the IDE cable as well. If the wiring is tight, go get a new drive and see what happens.

okay...

so...obviously the power is hooked correctly...why is it given the access letter g:? have you looked in the hardware manager to see if there is a conflict? You are using EIDE are you not? It's not SCSI is it? But your CD burner is working correctly...which do you have as slave and which one is master...they aren't both set the same...maybe you should check the jumpers...just an idea...let us know how things turn out....

Good post, very informative. Thanks. I wouldn't know how to trouble shoot my CD-ROM without it.
    Jason Parker - http://www.o-negative.net
    o-Negative: Information Network

thanks for replying everyone

tripstone: my cd-rom is ide, i was working properly before the reboot.. I installed some critical updates from "microsoft update"... I tried to uninstall all of them.. but didnt solve the problem. my cd-rom is secondary master, and cd-rw is the secondary slave... cd-rom itself does not have any sharing conflict. cd-rom drive letter is M: and cd-rw is N: because i have a bunch of partitions, c: d: e:... and so on

windows reports that my cd-rom is working properly.. just like any other devices.

I have 2 HDs, one 6.4 gig seagate (primary master), and one 40gig western digital (primary slave) on a 440LX intel chipset ( I know it sucks.. but Im just glab it still working)

according to conflict manager, my sound card and usb unviersal host controller are having the hardware resource sharing problem on IRQ 10. anyone here know how to modify the IRQ #s manually? my BIOS doesnt seem to have this option.

also when I checked the device manager under computer manager, it shows my cd-rom# 4, the nubmer seems to increase whenever I reinstall the driver for my cd-rom/cd-rw. anyone know how to delete or change the number back to 1 or 0?

tyia
    eom

hey...

ahhh...a 440lx chipset...well theres a problem right there...for one thing there is a prob with a critical update for that chipset...check the microsoft site for an update...search for your chipset...after you have installed...go to device manager...erase all instances of cdroms and hardrives and any other conflicting(if any) devices...now...reboot...this should install only the drivers you need...go into device manager to check on the devices once again to see if there are any unresolved conflicts...hope that helps...if not...im going to need more education...thats just what i learned from my A+ class I am taking....

Re: hey...

Originally posted by tripstone
    ahhh...a 440lx chipset...well theres a problem right there...for one thing there is a prob with a critical update for that chipset...check the microsoft site for an update...search for your chipset...after you have installed...go to device manager...erase all instances of cdroms and hardrives and any other conflicting(if any) devices...now...reboot...this should install only the drivers you need...go into device manager to check on the devices once again to see if there are any unresolved conflicts...hope that helps...if not...im going to need more education...thats just what i learned from my A+ class I am taking....
    Come on now. Why did you have to go and make everybody else look bad?

well?

Did I provide you with a solution or dissolution? Please let me know...I am a very inquisitive geek

yah, i hate it when they don't respond...also if anyone is wondering, i'm going through all the posts in the forum now to get more knowledge..thats why some of these will appear "fresh"

Another thing is this. On some systems, an IRQ problem will be to blame here. To change the IRQ, (on some) check the jumper settings. Should be labeled clearly.
    visit clublouie.com!!