Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZoneAlarm Question

Re: Brief Explanation

Originally posted by Simon Templer

If you wanted to run an application "hidden", then this can be achieved by taking advantage of the "vbHide" keyword.

Example:
    Shell "[whatever]", vbHide
    You can use numeric representations in place of 'vbHide', right? I forget what they are, but 0-5 or so, and one means totally hidden, another is minimized, another is maximized with focus, etc...

This kind of example is the main reason I A) Don't use ZoneAlarm and B) Use Eudora. I would like to add that in my search for a TPF-But-Not-TPF replacement firewall that works with my proxy/NAT service, Sygate's firewall is pretty good. I mean, it lets you do everything ZA (free ver) does, but lets you go into the guts with a liberal sprinkling of 'advanced' buttons. Not at advanced as TPF, but certainly a good bridge between ZA and TPF.

Anyway, with Sygate, You could probably tell it that Outlook can only access a certain host, certain port, or within a certain time frame...

That's an idea. Make it ask each time it wants to *SEND* mail to your mailserver... hmmmmm. It would be a lot less annoying than a 'check mail->ask with popup' rule.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Yes... You can use the numerical constants

There are six: (In Case Anyone Was Curious)

vbHide = 0
    vbNormalFocus = 1
    vbMinimizedFocus = 2
    vbMaximizedFocus = 3
    vbNormalNoFocus = 4
    vbMinimizedNoFocus = 6

Oddly, numerical constant 5 is not listed!
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

I am not sure if this would work or not.
    But, couldn't you just have ZoneAlarm ask you if you want <insert MS app> to connect to the internet everytime you send an email off?

Remove MS Word from ZoneAlarm

You can just delete MS Word from your list of programs that are allowed to access the Internet.

If the trojan is still active, ZoneAlarm will prompt you again and ask whwther you want to grant MS Word access to the Internet. Just check the always remember and click no.

Then download a anti-trojan program like TDS and rid yourself of it!
    mmic_man

Re: Brief Explanation

Originally posted by Simon Templer

I found that Zone Alarm gave me no warning... It did NOT give any alerts (even for Word) I even disallowed internet to M$ Word, and the file was still downloaded to my hard drive without warning...

Would your concept still work if you used an external firewall device? As in a product you may have to shell out some cash for rather than.. let's say... Zone Alarm?
    ~®¥ÅzÄÑ°FF~

Elen sila lumenn omentielvo..

Test Results

I've took a scientific approach and tested the results of my Macro Code and came up with the following:

Scenerio #1
    ----------------
    M$ WORD is set to "ALLOW"

Upon Execution of the Macro: No Alert (Obviously)

Scenerio #2
    ----------------
    M$ WORD is set to "ASK"

Upon Execution of the Macro: An Alert

BUT....

If "YES" is chosen:
    The macro will download the file...(obviously)..

But also the following events will occur:
    1) After choosing "YES" if the user attempts to engage the "INTERNET BLOCK" the files will still be download.
    2) If the user attempts to "DISALLOW ACCESS" via the "PROGRAMS" option, the macro will still download the file.

If "NO" is chosen:

The file will not be downloaded

Note: It's important to clarify that the results of choosing "Yes" in Scenerio #2 will only apply to that particular Zone Alarm session.

I hope this has helped to clarify the abilities of my internet macro, as well clear up any misconceptions that may have been formed do to my previous posts.

TeKRoMaNCeR - I'm not sure...I wish I had the abilities to test that...but unfortunetly I don't have the network setup to do so.
    Sorry
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha