Thread: Ode to X

Post Ode to X

First off let me say that if this gets too big and noone replies to it within a day or so the just remove it from the server.

Since I have been using linux I have noticed a predominate amount of linux users that have a problem with X. At first I thought that it was because X was hard to use or a hassle to setup. (this is starting back when RH 5.2 was out) THen I installed my RH5.2 and started X To my amazement X was pretty dull. And lets face it, most of us "new" linux users want power, games, and stability. Along with just having a free OS. So Linux was put on hold for me for a while. Then I went out and baught Mandrake 7.2 I had decided that no matter what I was going to use LInux. I was all ready for the hassle of setting up X and trying to get it to look half decent, then when it was all done installing to my amazement, X worked perfectly (in fact it worked better than the graphics on my Windows Installment.)

Dont get me wrong, I do beleive that a "true" linux user should know how to use and maintaine a system from command line but to fully use everything LInux has to offer it is sometimes neccesary to use X.

I had a boss at one of my jobs that swore he was a real linux type person. Then I found out he also used a MAC to do most of his work and ran X all the time with VMWARE running windows and a mac emulator.

What I'm trying to say I guess is this. Linux users are like old grumpy people *(me encluded )* When something comes along that we arent use to we tend to get offensive, we much prefer the old way (command line) But many users that have tried X have found that it isnt that bad. And for the "newbies" that want to make webpages, graphics, play games, and just fool around. Dont you think sticking them in front of a command line is kind of like selling your color tv for a black and white with only two channels?

So let X be. If you don't like it you don't have to use it. But don't tell new users to get rid of it. Most manuals today are written assuming you have X installed.

Well I'm done rambling now.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

Arrow

Most manuals today are written assuming you have X installed
    This depends on what you are doing. If you are just learning general Linux, then yes. For the average home user, X is neccessary. Have fun talking to people with a command-line ICQ clone while browsing the web, etc. all at the same time.

If you are in a corporate server environment (and that is where I think a lot of the geeks come from), using X is usually seen as crazy. Putting X on something like a web server is stupid - takes up hard drive space as well as system resources if you run it.

Also, those who tell newbies not to install X have a point. I know for a fact I learned more being forced to use the command line than having the "crutch" of X. Granted, it is more painful , but if you really want to learn Linux, it is the best and fastest.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Post Learning Linux w/0 X

You have a point, but X is distributed with linux for a reason. Just because you have X runngin does not mean you cant use the command line. I have an xterm session open all the time, and use it more than the buttons. I was just saying that X helps you learn linux faster. And yes it would be stupid to put X on any Server only system. I am speaking in the sense of users that want linux as an entire os, not just to use it for networking, linux has a lot more to offer than just network based items.

In fact I have found that some games like the quake series actually perform better and look better under linux. And it takes up less space since all you need is the wad file.

But again you do raise a good arguement.
    Good feedback.
    Whats a \"START\" button?

I kind of like X on my machine. I am running now Mandrake 8.0 and yeah it’s kind of nice for new users. But i must say i had quite a bit of trouble getting it to run in the beginning. Problems with the monitor and my graphics card so i was forced to use command line for a while. Didn’t mind that much but then again with a command line a had a quite a bad time setting up my dialup. All in all x is quite convenient. But i do agree you learn more when you use just a command line to get things going.