Thread: NEW Security/Hacking meeting

Lightbulb NEW Security/Hacking meeting

I live in Odessa, Texas and there are no type of Hacker or realated meetings in this area. I think it would be great to start one. If there is anyone out there that lives here or close, please reply. Lets get something going. Maybe it will become an anual thing.

We would need to come up with Topics, Ideas, and even a location. Im sure money issues will also come into play.

Thanks for your time,

Im sure money issues will also come into play.
    Sounds dubious!

What is a hacking meeting?

What exactly is the purpose of the meeting or you just want to have a meeting and need help on what its gonna deal with...? I dont understand...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Actually, I like that idea. It'd be great to have SUGs (Security User Groups?) and local meetings of those that want to pool resources and such. I would imagine a meeting like this could benefit from an occassional guest speaker as well as members research topics and presenting on them (perhaps in preparation for a SANS cert, newpaper article or some such thing).

One of the issues with the larger conferences is the cost. They are horribly expensive and often beyond most peoples budgets and such. Locally organized meetings might be a way to help those not so wealthy be able to meet peers.

I'm in Toronto if someone is interested in working on this for this area.

That sounds freakin' great, and I'm up to having one in my area. Anyone live around the Lake Charles, Louisiana area (south west LA), message me back or email at craisins@antionline.org.

Question

Im with you, petemcevoy.sounds very dubious.

Reminds of that Simpsons episode where Chief Wiggum promises all the criminals in Springfield a free boat (Homer included). All they have to do is show up at the Police station to pick it up....DOH!

Talking Guest Speaker!!

Well, I got the guest speaker figured out!

It should be... (Drum Roll Please)

JP!

Just check this out

http://www.antionline.com/lecture/

How bout it JP!?

Hey, MsMittens, are you from Texas ?

I wonder if (excepted Negative and Me) there are any other belgians here ...

By the way, I'm not sure we have SUG here!

Jean-Francois