Thread: Red Hat Linux 7.1 Install

Unhappy Red Hat Linux 7.1 Install

I've recently downloaded the 2 .img files from redhat and burned them to cd. The disks are named CD 1 and CD 2, as per the instructions I have. For whatever reason, though, I can't get the computer to boot off the cd's.

I have also tried using the boot floppy, and while the floppy was created fine, (RaWrite v3), the install program says it can't find the redhat cd in the drive during install.

Did I perhaps need to change the name of the downloaded images when I burned them to cd? I left their filenames unmodified (seawolf something or other.img)

The computer boots off of other bootable cd roms, any ideas how I can get this done?

brickwall
    Security is an illusion

Exclamation

I cant answer your question. . . but I can pass on some info that might be handy if you are running LiLo. I made a huge mistake in removing the linux partition and formatting. Then I reinstalled Win98 again. What I didn't know was that LiLo was resident in the Boot Sector. To remove LiLo. all you have to do is FDisk /mbr When you run this, it wont show anything, but all you have to do is reboot. Hope this helps in some way. Just want to say Thanks to Flash. He is the one who helped me out of that little hole.

Thanks for the tip. Already knew about fdisk /mbr though.

Are you 100% sure the image is burnt onto the cd correctly, ie: you burnt it as raw data as opposed to iso9660. If your sure you did that correctly and can read the cd in windows but not kick off a linux install from it - you should maybe try to burn the first cd one more time - cd authoring's a fickle bitch at the best of times.

Pete,
    Thanks... I figured out what I did wrong just 5 minutes before your reply.

I had placed the *.iso image on the cd, rather than burning the IMAGE onto the cd. (small matter of a radio box left unchecked)

Looks like I'll be fine now... the cd has structure now, not just the single file. (how embarassing)

All that, even after I read Red Hat's instructions 3 times to make sure I hadn't missed anything. Perhaps they should add that info for folks burning their own set... burn FROM AN IMAGE TO CD!

Time to say goodbye to Mickey$oft!!!

Verdure
    Security is an illusion