Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best OS

Question Best OS

I know this is probably going to start a huge "this is the best OS," "No, this is!" "Flame" "Flame" war, but please try not to do this.
    Anyway, What are the best OS's in your opinions? Please give reasons for each, and what you would suggest for different users or uses(Ex: Newbies, Programmers, [I know someone's going to flame for this] Hackers, Networking, etc.).
    Thanks for your input, and again, please, no wars of any type on this, please.
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Windows 2000- Most secure and compatible Windows system Stable
    Windows 98SE- Second most compatible Stable
    Linux- If configured correctly Stable
    Macintrash- need i say more?

For people just starting Win98SE, and Linux.
    For more advanced it depends on the person.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

In my opinion Win2k is the best Windows OS for the work I do. I know alot of people have problems with Win ME but I have not had any problem with it.

I also run Macintosh (correct spelling) and happen to think it is really easy to operate. I'd like to get my hands on a Titanium G4.

Originally posted by casper3699
    Windows 2000- Most secure and compatible Windows system Stable
    Windows 98SE- Second most compatible Stable
    Linux- If configured correctly Stable
    Macintrash- need i say more?

For people just starting Win98SE, and Linux.
    For more advanced it depends on the person.
    I just figured I'd add to this.

Windows 2000 is also designed for a network environment, which is why it's so secure and stable. Microsoft couldn't get away with crappy operating systems in a business environment. They'd have Bill Gates hanged.

Windows XP does boast more features and a new interface, but that doesn't mean it's better. I had a hard time doing administrative jobs, considering it was hard to find out where to go. Let us also not forget what nazis they're being with the anti-pirating measures. I would wait for about service pack 2 on the pro edition. It should be pretty much perfected by then.

Windows NT us just as stable, if not more so than Windows 2000. It's also where Windows 2000 came from. Problem? It's old. Try using a USB device and you'll see what I mean.

Windows 98 is the best of the 9x series in my opinion. Windows 95 is too outdated to be very effective, but it will work in a pinch. Windows ME is just a piece of junk. It was thrown together very badly, and is INCREDIBLY unstable (it was for me, anyway). I couldn't run it for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time without it crashing. Windows 98 doesn't have the newest features like Windows ME does, but it has all the features you will need, and it's more stable.

As far as Linux goes, all I know is:
    Mandrake=easy
    Red Hat=secure
    I don't know anything at all about the other versions.

The Macintosh operating system doesn't even apply unless you're planning on buying one of their computers, which I hope you're not (unless you're doing graphics work). But I agree with casper. It sucks.

For the developer's out there, and those who enjoy trying out real new OS's... There is AtheOS I haven't tried it yet, seeing as how I only have a 1 gig HD right now (had a bad month for hardware :/)
    But from what I have read about it, I am quite anxious for its development to speed up. So it'll be more useful for everyday use for the non-developer.

I figured the best OS is the one you can use most efficently. But these days it seems that latest fashion statement is to use Linux...
    But has anyone seen Plan 9 before? What do you think?

Smile

I think I'm gonna have to agree with most of the views posted here.

I've used Win2000 pro (SP2) at work for the past 10 months and it hasn't given me any problems at all.

At home I was running WinME, which is the biggest bag of **** I've ever used. It was a bastard to set up and it kept hanging for no other reason that the PC had been up and running for about 4 hours.
    I've got the XP pro corporate edition on my home PC and it runs like a dream.
    The 'comedy' interface takes some getting used to, but on the whole it's not bad.:thumbs:
    Also with it being the corp. edition all of the anti-paracy measures have been taken out of it or are disabled. You never need to register this version with microsoft, so you can use it on as many PC's as you like. The office XP I've got installed does the same.

[Weak piracy excuse]

I think I'm entitled to a 'free' copy of XP because I was conned into paying for Win ME when I needed an OS for my new PC(2months old). As Win ME is such a crap OS then I'm taking a copy of XP for compensation.

[/Weak piracy excuse]

I'm using WIN98 SE but then I change it to Window ME. I agree that WIN ME really suck coz I can't dial my modem, althought it appear dialing but it doesnt. I format the whole thing and put WIN98 again and it running smoothly without crashing the machine.

How do I install display driver if I using Caldera Open Linux. The XF86SETUP are confusing for me.

In my opinion

As systems administrator, part of my job is to take care of security concerns of all the users. So i keep trying out new OS's, this is what i felt.
    for newbies:
    In a battle between a crocodile and a bear, the terrain is what counts !

Win 2k pro is a good os if you patch it and lock down the IIS
    win me is a good os if dont plan on doing anything but looking at winme or if its used as dual boot for Win2k
    Win 98 is good os if you like to play games.
    Win 3.11 is the most stable windows os made!

Im debating about xp. I like the secure file wipe! Itll make it easy to dump any vital evidence, er important files from your hard drive.