Banned

Lightbulb Links

For firewalls.

ZoneAlarm - www.zonelabs.com
    BlackIce - www.networkice.com

Test your firewall

www.grc.com
    www.hackerwhacker.com

If security is just an illusion then why bother being a member of a security discussion board?

Correct me if I am wrong!

From what I am reading about the security of windows XP. The OS will open and Close the ports as needed. I think that this is a BIG step in the right way to making a MS product Secure.
    As I said if I am wrong Please correct me. But PLEASE be kind. I am a newbie here.

Willing to learn......

I don't know if that's true or not, but I don't like that idea at all. I want to be in control of what ports are open on my computer MYSELF. I don't want to trust the software to do it for me. It would be too easy for someone to exploit that.

XP

I hear your concern. I have to say that the control is still there much like Win NT. You can open any of the ports that You want. NNTP POP-3 Ect.
    I am sorry that I do not remeber where I read this at. I did it in a quick glance.

With the release soon to be out. I guess we will all have a little more knowledge soon.

Banned
    is it possible to set up multiple deamons on a windows system?
    say telnet, finger, SMTP, AND P0P3

Windows won't let you use the finger daemon afaik, but then again why would you want to? It is possible to enable telnet to a w2k/nt4 box - not really advisable though.
    As for smtp/pop3 - these are both mail daemons and as such you'll need a mta (mail transport agent) - and windows doesn't have one built in i'm afraid.
    But in answer to your question - can windows use multiple daemons - well, if you are of the school of thought that a daemon is a service waiting for a request, then yes - it can

Banned
    i can understand why the telnet deamon is questionable... but what other deamons can run on a windows system?....
    right now my windowze is running 2 deamons.. one on port 21(ftp) and one on port 80 (http)
    scanning 127.0.0.1
    connected to 127.0.0.1 :[21] FTP File Transfer Protocol
    [127.0.0.1:21](220 FTP server, ready
    )
    connected to 127.0.0.1 :[80] HTTP

i had another one on port 113 or something like that... i think it was a netbios service... but now its gone.. do any of these current demons cause any security risks?....

Banned
    now that i look closer i see more opoen ports... some with no deamon on them.. i can see this is a security risk..but how can i 'close' the ports?

Your running a ftp server through your loopback adapter?
    I'll answer that question - your not.