Thread: Need some help please...

Need some help please...

Hi.
    I talked to a friend of mine yesterday and
    He told me He was asked to replace the battery in an old computer. (That was someone diagnosis)
    The problem, according to him, is that the computer doesn't load(recognize) the HD nor the floppy drive
    at startup, He has to do that through the setup, always since a
    few weeks ago.
    When he enters the setup, the floppy drive says 5 1/4, instead of 3 1/2.
    Everytime the computer boots up, that has to be done in order for it to start decently.
    My question is:
    Is the battery really the problem? or could it be something else?
    If anyone can help me out with this I'll appreciate it.
    10x.
    \"The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm...

Most likely the battery.

Some *old* computers @ my skool had this problem... they default to 5.25" floppy drives in the BIOS, rather than 3.5" anyway if the battery is dead the bios will forget everything each time... Not usually a prob. for Hard drives cos the bios default is usu. auto configure, so it detects 'em each time, but the floppy drive will be set up wrong cos the bios will revert to defaults if its not kept powered - by the battery!

Replacing a motherboard battery, though, depending on the mbd. model, can involve a soldering iron and a fair degree of not caring if the computer still works after - believe me i killed a really old comp. trying to change the battery. Most modern ones seem to have a replaceable battery clip thingy, but its still best to get a new mbd. in my opinion - that way if its not the batt. if its the BIOS itself (Very unlikely!!!!!) it'll sort that out as well.
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

if the BIOS settings have to be entered after every boot it's the battery.

Exclamation No user serviceable parts.......

FYI,

If your battery is soldered in place, you run the risk of damaging your multi-layer mother board trying to unsolder it. Instead, you might look in the immediate area for a connection for an external battery. This usually took the shape of a 4 pin header conn. with 1 pin missing (polarity) There may also be a jumper associated with this connector. If you don't see either one, then your best bet is to CAREFULLY clip the battery leads and solder your new battery to the stubs. Try not to get overheated
    Better living thru science.