Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: personal web server

Banned

Question personal web server

is it possible for me to use my computer as a web server to host my website? if yes... how can i do it

Yep, but I wouldn't recommend it for a number of reasons:

1. It's very expensive
    2. You'd need a very fast connection to make it worthwhile (T1 at least)
    3. Anyone who breaks into your server could gain access to any of your personal files on the same computer

The easiest way to do this is to get an 'always on' connection to the net, therefore you have a permanent IP address, e.g. 250.0.0.1. Just connect to this address (http://250.0.0.1) and you should be able to use your website - this is a similar method as to setting up a local server on your machine - I strongly suggest doing this before allowing anyone access to it!

Good starting points:

http://www.apache.org/
    http://www.php.net
    http://www.devshed.com/
    http://www.ntl.com
    http://www.btopenworld.com/

Good luck (you're going to need it).

pwaring.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

I would agree with pwaring. If you want a 24/7 website, doing it on your home computer isn't a very practical idea. Depending on your patronage, DSL or cable might work, it might not. If you want a www.namehere.com address, that's a bit more complicated than just giving people http://132.251.21.23/ (or whatever your IP is)...

And that's assuming you don't have a dynamic IP scheme going at your ISP.

If ALL you want to do is open port 80 and let people view web pages through that, without the www.yournamehere.com, without anything 24/7, then you could just get Apache or Frontpage or something...

And then that opens a whole new can of security-related worms.

Bottom line: If you aren't working in a large company, buy hosting space from an ISP or hosting service and let them host it.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Yes, you can use your own computer as a web server. I do it myself, in fact. I recommend you use Apache if you do. Whatever you do, don't use IIS. It's bad even compared to other Microsoft programs. You can search for Apache at www.download.com. I hope you're not planning on doing this from a Windows 9x system. It would not be the smartest thing in the world as far as security goes. You should be running Windows NT, Windows 2000, or better yet, Red Hat Linux. You should also check out www.iscool.net They offer a free forwarding service so you don't have to use your IP address.

Pwaring: What makes you think setting your computer up as a web server is expensive? All you NEED is a program to run it, and Apache is free.
    As far as bandwidth goes, you do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT need a T1 line for a personal web site. I run my personal site on a 768K cable service, and that's more than enough. If you were running a site like AntiOnline, then a T1 (but preferably greater) would be a good idea. But for a personal site, there is no reason to fuss about bandwidth. It's just not worth it. You DO, however, need to make sure you have a permanent internet IP.
    For security, I agree with you. Using your own PC is pretty risky. I am only making this computer my web server until my Linux machine is ready. I recommend that you get an old PC (a 133 will do just fine), put Red Hat on it, and make that your web server. Just remember to make backups and put them away on a separate machine or CD or something.
    That way, if a hacker DOES manage to get through, it's no big deal. You just have to restore your backups, and your own PC is untouched.

Banned
    thanks..... and i am running a nt workstation..... i am gonna try to look up the most common exploits/trojans and try my best to defend against them..... thanks

Banned
    hi again.... does anyone have any more server progrms like apache?... cus apache doesnt seem to be my #1 choice riter now

Question

Why do you want to try something else? Is it the configuration? I can help you with that if you'd like. I can't think of any other web server programs besides Microsoft's IIS, which I wouldn't touch unless I was desperate.

Hello Stflook,

Let me remember you that a keenly administrated Windows NT station is far more secure than lousy administration on, let's say linux or openBSD. The security of the OS is not the only concern. The time took by the administrator to harden his system is also to be taken into account.

Where you're also wrong is that you said him that "all you need is a program to run it". False. You also need programs to ensure that only web server will be accessed from the internet, let's say an host firewall, a program to detect illegal activity/attempt, let's say an IDS or a NIDS, programs to generate dynamic pages (PHP, ASP, ColdFusion or whatever DHTML tools you may think of ...) and so on.

On the hardware level, he must ensure than nobody else than him should be able to go to console, reboot computer, cut off mains, plug an UPS and so on ...

On the link side, he must have an always-on connection with a static IP, or dynamic, but with a dynamic DNS for update.

We are far from "only apache".

Take also into account that added to the cost of the link, is the cost of electricity (or maybe you got a coal-powered computer ?), room (warming, taking care of, ...), piece of hardware (even wonder if your PC is able to run 24/7 for a long time ?)

So, hosting sites is not only a matter of "Will I get hacked", but also of "how much will it cost to me" ...

Jean-Francois

Banned
    thanx...... but money isnt a problem..... i am considering *BSD or *nix for the server......

Originally posted by ac1dsp3ctrum
    thanx...... but money isnt a problem..... i am considering *BSD or *nix for the server......
    Then Apache/PHP/MySQL is the most powerful combination you could use to do almost anything you wanted (e.g. dynamic generation of pages, forums etc.)

Even if Apache isn't your number 1 choice, I would still recommend using it because it is free, very powerful (especially if you are prepared to hack the config scripts) and open source.

pwaring.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.