Thread: Network Intrusion

Network Intrusion

i was wondering if someone could help me with the following problem..

1, my internet center uses a cable connection.now i have a question. a cable connection and an ISDN connection ,are the two the same thing? could you tell me the differnce.i do know that my internet center is permanently hooked on to the net..and so it should have a permanent ip address.there are around ten machines all using windowsNT 4.0 . the setup over there is very secure.ordinary users have only the d: drive to access.we dont have direct access to the software we need. all are made available as shortcuts into the D: drive.the command prompt
    is also not available.i cant telnet outside from the machines there. further if i install an exe in the drive it is erased as soon as i log off. however i did manage to temporarily run a few software from which i found out the ip address of all the machines there.the machine i used had an address 192.168.1.3. so i assumed that the server to which i am connected has an ip of 192.168.1.1 ..now the following are my assumptions about the
    internet center where i go which i would like you to correct for me if i am wrong...(note that i have only a little knowledge of
    networking)
    i will call the above center CENTER1
    ASSUMPTIONS:
    naturally all the machines in the CENTER1 will be connected to a server,whose ip address i assumed from above is 192.168.1.1,which will be configured as a proxy server.i went to another internet center(i will call it CENTER2) that had a command prompt(the dos prompt) on its machine. then i tried to ping the server at CENTER1.i did this because the server at CENTER1 is permanently hooked to the net.i assumed from my experiments that it had an ip of 192.168.1.1 however i got a message "no route to host" and in another center i got the message "host not found".when the results were as above i felt that the ip address 192.168.1.1 is used locally and that the permanent address to connect to the net is configured in the proxy server in different manner compared to ordinary ip configuration.are my assumptions right so far?if so how do i get that ip address
    with which the machine is connected to the net?how could i get
    access to the machine from outside.i dont intent to harm anyone
    or put anyone at unease.the very fact that the owner has made
    the setup secure makes me feel like trying to hack in..i believe
    the everyone here shares the same enthusiasm.that was why i posed this question here..so how can i gain access(especially privileged) to the machines at CENTER1 from both inside and outside the CENTER1.

2, for the above purposes what tools should i use?how far will port scanning be effective here?in unix i can atleast attempt to connect to remote machines using telnet ftp rlogin etc...
    when i attack a remote NT machine what all connections can i attempt? how do i go about gaining access to a remote NT machine??forget options like the machine is running a faulty IIS or things like that.the machine is a proxy server.and thats it..it has no firewall.how do i attack it from outside.i dont expect to get spoon fed.i have read about port scanning, IIS attacks etc.but i have never got a concrete guideline about how to launch an attack,especially on a machine that does not run any services but only acts as a proxy for the internal machines.

i have posted a rather very big question and i hope that i have not wasted your time..once again i mean no harm to anyone.
    well the truth is that i do want to hack into the machines at CENTER1.
    but only for the thrill.and not cause inconvenience.

thank you very much for your time..
    with regards and gratitude for all help rendered so far
    SCORPION

Okay...

192.168.xxx.xxx numbers are only valid as local ip's.
    They are free for anyone to use on networks.

If you wanna find the external IP of that server, then you can E-mail yourself from one of the CENTER1 computers and then check the X-Originating IP header in your mailbox.

You could also try connecting to a government computer, they usually threaten you with your ip address.

I always make anonymous connections to NASA when i really need my external IP.

If your E-mail is not set up to display header information then id suggest you tell it to show all header information. Its usually just in one of the options.

ISDN is weird and hokey, haha, They only run up to 128kbps
    I really wanted oe back in the day, but now theyre old and pretty slow.
    Cable is much faster advertising in my area about 5mbps (5120kbps) Synchronous.
    Dsl is much nicer still... In my area we get ADSL at 7mbps down and 1.5mbs up.

Are you sure that it's a proxy server???
    Or did you just assume that??
    Because they usually arent.
    Good servers usually use ip aliasing.

-8trak
    F0 0F C7 C8

Re: Network Intrusion

Originally posted by scorpion
    my internet center uses a cable connection.now i have a question. a cable connection and an ISDN connection ,are the two the same thing?
    ISDN stands for Integrated Services Digital Network, and is a bit of an older technology. It could have really flown as a technology for broadband, but not many companies implemented it well. Go figure.
    the setup over there is very secure.ordinary users have only the d: drive to access.we dont have direct access to the software we need. all are made available as shortcuts into the D: drive.
    I'm no NT guru, but if you can get to them via shortcuts, they aren't really restricticed... Unless these are some weird NT permissions that I don't know about. I know that on a Win 9x machine, having the shortcut and having it work means you can get to the program folder.

i felt that the ip address 192.168.1.1 is used locally and that the permanent address to connect to the net is configured in the proxy server in different manner compared to ordinary ip configuration.are my assumptions right so far?if so how do i get that ip address with which the machine is connected to the net?
    Can you browse the internet from there? Just open a web-browser, and go to one of the sites that gives you a privacy analysis, like GRC.com and it's "Shields Up" test. It will show you the IP of the proxy.

how could i get access to the machine from outside.i dont intent to harm anyone or put anyone at unease.the very fact that the owner has made the setup secure makes me feel like trying to hack in..i believe the everyone here shares the same enthusiasm.that was why i posed this question here..so how can i gain access(especially privileged) to the machines at CENTER1 from both inside and outside the CENTER1....(ETC)
    Much bigger question. I can't say. It's not like there are steps 1 to 10 for getting into a system. I would suggest reading Hacking Exposed's NT section.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

try learning about NT os and networking

...you don't know whats the difference between cable connection ans ISDN ...you don't know about that network architecture ...you know almost nothing and you want to "hack" into a station for a thrill ...ok ...i think i found myself a few years ago...
    the thing is that if i'm gonna give you a litle source code for breaking into an IDONKNOWHATNETWORK LAN beside u probably won't be able to adapt it and compile it (excluding the fact that there isn't such program) after you would run it and brake into what satisfaction you gonna have ... you gonna tell the sys admin about his breach ...or your friends about the skills you don't have?
    this is not the way my friend. What you should do is go on www.google.com or a bookstore and then buy books about NT os and other OSs then about networks ...then about security of the networks and this would be much more effective...and belive me you'll find much more interesting things then using stupid code wich you don't know what it does for something so ABSTRACT to you as a network or a box in that network...
    after you gonna learn about the network ...the os you will be probably able to hack into it ..but you won't find that attraction for this anymore ...other things will be of a bigger importance for you
    good luck

--==CtrlAltDel==--