Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: possible t0 have a secure windowze

Banned

Question possible t0 have a secure windowze

can a windowze OS ever be as secure as OpenBSD or *nix ?

That depends on how you define Secure. Windows NT has a C2 security tool that will lock the box down very nicely. (unfortunately one of the things you have to do is remove the networking components).

A lot of it also depends on the knowledge and skills of the administrator. I'm sure that a Windows box being run by someone that really knows what they are doing is more secure than a *nix box set up by someone that has limited experience with security and *nix in general.

All OSes have there own vulnerabilities. Even though MS seems to get a lot more press, they exist in *nix systems to (anyone remember Ramen?). I’m not sure if this really answers your question, but I hope it helps a little.

Banned
    Ya thanks... It helps a lot

I hate to say it but you can lock down a windows server pretty damn tight if you know what you are doing. In a sence you can keep them each really secure but there is a difference. I am use all openBSD and most script kiddies and all lot of other people have no friggin clue how an openBSD box even works. I would say a large number of people who write viruses and other nasty stuff write them strictly for the windows envirorment so your chances are a lot higher of getting hacked or what not if you use a windows box. The other difference is for openbsd they search and search every single line of code before they call it stable. but if windows users move over to *nix then we would have the same prob but un till then i would rather trust my stuff on a locked down unix box vs a locked down windows box.

Unix,Live Free Or Die

Banned

Thumbs up

If you have a great understanding of Windows security it is. Im running Windows and I feel safe.

Your right, it all depends how much you know and until your comfort level is high enough unplug you dsl and keep the computer unplugged

I'm pretty comfy on my Win98 box. Shares are nicely confined to print shares, and the printer is off unless in use, furthermore those shares are only working on my network adapter...

I have a proxy/NAT service running, with appropriate firewall rules to block incoming traffic from 'outside'...

The only real problem with a Win98 machine is a Trojan infection, and that's pretty easy to deal with with common sense and updated virus definitions.

And if you guys disagree, I'll give you my IP address, and you can check it out.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

That confident ehh... Thats a good thing and a bad thing but i trust you know your stuff.

I'd be interested in your offer Terr, if you really meant that - pm you ip to me and i'll have a crack at it - could email you the results if ya like.

The thing is, I'm not as confident as before by a small margin, since TPF's new version just didn't play well with my setup, and I've migrated to Sygate's firewall. I'm still setting up rules and things as I notice that they become necessary.

BTW, anyone know if there is a program I can use in windows in order to portscan based on a local adapter? I don't want to port scan myself with my ethernet card, or via non-adapter loopback, because some of my rules involve adapter-specific things...
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency