Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Net-Force

Question Net-Force

Does anybody know of an organization called "Net-Force"? I just got an ICQ message from somebody claiming he was the founder of that organization, and he wanted me to become an "agent" to fight cyber-crime. He was kinda pushy about it, and he was trying really hard to sound official and professional. He gave me a link to his site. It was a Geocities site, and he used their page builder to design it.

So, what I'm trying to figure out, is whether this is real (i REALLY doubt it), or if I'm being pursued by a nerd, or even worse, a real sicko.

Arrow

If the guy was a founder and their only web site is a Geocities site, it isn't real. First off, if this guy was a true founder, then I find it hard that this guy would be running around on ICQ trying to get members. Secondly, I could see if this organization was a spin-off of some true organization that they might have a Geocities site, but if all he gives you is that one, then that is really sad.

I suspect that if you were to say "Yes", the first assignment he would have for you "to fight cybercrime" would be to get the password of a known hacker's Hotmail account. ie - he just built an elaborate plan to get into his girlfriend's mail. (ok - not that elaborate if he used Geocities web-builder)
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Yea, that's what I'm thinking too. That is, if he can even get a girlfriend. He sounds like he watched that kids' show "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" one too many times.

Here is the URL, if anyone's curious.

http://www.geocities.com/theredscorpions/netforce.html

I wonder if I could get an official Toy Story "Woody" badge if I join this thing. If I do, I would just HAVE to join. rofl

Re: Net-Force

Originally posted by stflook
    Does anybody know of an organization called "Net-Force"? I just got an ICQ message from somebody claiming he was the founder of that organization, and he wanted me to become an "agent" to fight cyber-crime. He was kinda pushy about it, and he was trying really hard to sound official and professional. He gave me a link to his site. It was a Geocities site, and he used their page builder to design it.

So, what I'm trying to figure out, is whether this is real (i REALLY doubt it), or if I'm being pursued by a nerd, or even worse, a real sicko.
    Ask how long ago he founded it, and how many members he has... Any date after 9/11 (Interesting coincidence, given that 911 is an emergency number here in the states...), then don't bother. Before 9/11, give some consideration. More than a year, possibly. But, totally aside from that... do you want to be in it even if it is... how to say... established?

I would have to agree, it sounds pretty dubious. But I would add as a rule of thumb, if he 'founded' it after Sept 11, it's not worth it, because it will tend to attract the wrong people.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Talking

Net Force is a fictional series of books written by the author Tom Clancy! It's a Government agency that fights cyber crime. He's probably just read one of the books! As for asking how long ago he founded the group etc.....I wouldn't even give him the time of day

!rofl rofl

Yea, you're right. My first "mission" would probably be a "top-secret" one to find Osama Bin-Laden's virtual hideout, but not before we put on our "official" Net-Force capes. rofl
    And when we're all done (before 7:00, or it will go past his bedtime), his mom would give us all virtual milk and cookies. rofl

ha!

I am a member!!!! Lmao of course not, well it is fake, but he says he is a former hacker with the "red scorpions"or sumn like that.... and made the site because the government was out to get him..... what ever, you can tell it is "fak eby the front page...... look at my atachment........ but ay if i was you i would join for fun, but dont give them any info on you..... do it for play.... but dont take him serious, probaly sum lil script kiddy......

Careful now people....."The Force" may be watching rofl rofl
    \"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he,himself,does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss,the abyss also gazes into you\"

Friedrich Nietzche

This guy just sent me an e-mail about this "Net-Force" thing. Normally I wouldn't post something like this here, but you gotta read this! *laughing hysterically*

Dear new agent

We here at Net Force welcome you to our team. We here at Net Force hope
    you
    like the rest of us are going to have allot of fun tracking down cyber
    criminals. If you do a crime on the net we will be the once that try
    and we
    will succeed in putting you were you belong in a small cell with a guy
    named spike. Do the crime on line pay the prize in real time. We will
    send
    you the latest updates on our investigations as soon as we get any. And
    again welcome to the team agent Stephen

Please also note that I never said I wanted to join this! rofl

Agent Stephen........your first mission,if you so choose to take it,is to teach this poor guy alittle good grammar........this message will self destruct 30 seconds after you read it.
    \"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he,himself,does not become a monster....when you gaze long into the abyss,the abyss also gazes into you\"

Friedrich Nietzche