22 9.02%
  • 40+

14 5.74%
  • Older than GOD!

10 4.10%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private forums and board quality

Originally posted by Simon Templer:
    I think basing eligibility on the number of posts, and account age is a good idea!
    I disagree with the idea of basing eligibility on the number of posts. I have seen some who have just gotten an account acquire more posts in one day than I've had in the month I've had my account, simply by flaming others. Why should I be punished for posting only when I have something to say?

The idea of using account age is interesting. It would prevent new users from posting "How do I hack hotmail?", and would help to prevent flames and other worthless posts.

After some thought, I am against the idea of private forums. But I can still see a use for restrictions. Why not restrict new members to read-only until their account is one month old? They could have write access to the newbie section for that month. They should also not be able to assign antipoints to other users until their account is a month old as well. Or if allowed to assign antipoints so they can give feedback to posters, it should assign 0 points, positive or negative.

Originally posted by Simon Templer
    stflook - I thought the Newbie forum was for the "how do I hack hotmail" questions? [/B]
    It is. Unfortunately, they don't always go there. When I want to flame script kiddies, I would like to know exactly where the script kiddie questions are at.

By the way, that was a JOKE. Thank you for the negative Antipoints, all of you with no sense of humor. I'm very offended that ANYBODY would think I was serious.

IMHO

OK, the ideas about AntiPoints or member status being the indicator wether you can post to a private forum or not were bad... I hope I didn't get negative AntiPointed for the ideas...
    I also don't think that the age of membership would be good, for the same reasons of than those previous ideas + some others.
    The best way would IMHO be invitating, but that would make a problem when a person who doesn't for a reason or an other get invited gets pissed and starts flaming the public forums (likely the posts of the one who didn't give him authorization to post).
    The whole AntiOnline would then spread into two or three groups: gurus, "normals" & lamers; lamers being angry because they're not allowed to post into the forum made by "normals" or the forum of gurus & "normals" being angry because not allowed to post into the forum found by gurus...
    As a result of all this & others, I'm against the idea of public forums. AO forums work fine already and the lamers get soon pissed & get away when nobody likes them .

-ZeroOne
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

Maybe JP just came up wiyh this "ap" sys to keep us reading and posting??? who knows

Banned
    Greetings All:

Great idea, and a good discussion. The Private Forums now exist!