Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highspeed/dial-up war.

Highspeed/dial-up war.

Im just curious to know what peoples feelings are about highspeed internet as opposed to dial-up. I have met some die hard dial up fans and some highspeed fans. I just started with a new dial up service and I am impressed so far. Peace.

Ok, you can't compare dial-up to broadband.
    It is like comparing a Porshe to a volkswagen beetle.

I have cable. And I usually get around 1200 kb/s. Granted it can vary quite a bit, just because of how cable works. Or you can get DSL which gives you about the same speed every single time, such as 300 kb/s or whatever. Those speeds are for downstream of course. And most broadband ISP's cap your upstream to 128k. I have had cable for 3 years now, and hopefully I will never have to go back to dialup.

Dialup is good, if you only want to:
    1. send/recieve email
    2. Be online a short time
    3. Don't mind waiting forever to have websites load.
    4. Like getting a new IP addy everytime you get online
    5. IRC/ICQ/AIM = what have you
    6. Don't have alot of cash to pay for broadband

Question

Hard-core dial-up fans? You mean they LIKE having low bandwidth like that? Why on earth would they love dial-up connections? Am I missing something?

suffice to say this: Once you've had broadband you will NEVER be able to go back to dial-up and be happy - its not like comparing a porche to a beetle, its like comparing a porche to a covered wagon with no wheels and a gimpy horse
    Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune

Originally posted by Evil Homer
    suffice to say this: Once you've had broadband you will NEVER be able to go back to dial-up and be happy - its not like comparing a porche to a beetle, its like comparing a porche to a covered wagon with no wheels and a gimpy horse
    That's the truth. I was one of the first to sign up for a cable service about a year ago. I didn't know what to do with all the bandwidth I didn't have on a dial-up connection. Gradually, I learned. Then my cable company over-distributed. They had to lease lines from other companies, and recently lost one of their providers quite abruptly. My service is good for about dial-up speed right now, and I'm going NUTS! This problem was supposed to be resolved over a week ago. In the meantime, I feel like I lost family member.
    In short, high-speed wins hands down. There's no contest.

Question

What is "Dial-up"

Originally posted by CaseSensitive
    What is "Dial-up"
    I can't believe I'm doing this, and I'm probably going to regret it later, but I'm going to assume that was a real question and not sarcasm.

A dial-up connection is a connection to the internet using the user's existing phone-lines. They dial into their ISP to connect.

Please, oh PLEASE tell me that wasn't a serious question.

I'm moving to my resident bout a year a go. Sadly, there's no ISDN or other broadband here. So I need to dial-up my modem first. I put two line here, one for my house phone and one for internet. Sometime I need to dial several time to get connected. Really hard. I wish I have a satellite direct connection. So that I don't have do dial again.

dialup?

I live out in the middle of nowhere...we are living in the medieval age of phone lines out here man...These lines are 40+ years old...I could have that StarBand thingy...but I figured it out to be a thousand dollars to start with and then 70 dollars a month after that...supposedly 10Mps download speed...I think I'll just stick with my free dial up account at my college...

one more thing

try having a winmodem running dialup on 40 year old lines...yeah...IT SUX!!!...I'll load up my browser and when it begins to dial...something will end up writing something to somewhere...a cache or something and garble up the transmission....does anyone have any clue how to combat this problem....plus...I can't even have a firewall going anyways...it chews up my limited resources and ends up killing my connection...I can barely have my browser going....I wanna chop over those poles outside so the company has to come and install newer lines...no...I can't do that....all they have in jail near where I am is Windows 3.1...that would be even worse...although it would be fun to write a few batch files to run from Autoexec...