Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WiNDoWS XP and its Performance.

Originally posted by xraystan
    Christ on a bike!
    Some people on here are so dumb it's criminal.
    If you don't like the look of XP just change the display settings, so it uses the Windows 2000 style interface, or haven't you worked out how to right-click on the desktop yet?
    There seem to be a lot of wannabes on here who seem to think that bad mouthing anything Microsoft does makes them a l33t h4x0r.
    I've always wondered if it is a pre-requisite to becoming l33t to slag off MS.
    It's as though someone once published the "How to become a l33t h4x0r" check list and at the top of list was "In order to become a l33t h4x0r you must hate Microsoft."

The daftest thing about this topic is that evilseed bad mouths Microsoft with such a passion you can just see him shooting his airgun at pictures of bill gates, but he admits that he uses MS products. Then fiend says he agrees but can't get his head around Linux, so doesn't use it. What a cop out.
    Here's some advice :
    Try reading up on Linux, ask some questions on here in the Linux forum if you must.
    Then when you are ready format your hard disk and install a copy of Linux on it.
    There you go no more nightmares about having to use an inferior MS product.

On second thoughts, perhaps the daftest thing about this topic is that I even bothered to get involved in it.
    I must be drunk.
    The book is "l337 h4x0r's 4 dumm135" v 0.3

This book says that you have to love unix and linux and ports of either.

We worship the book.... The book will guide us..

Ahhhh... We are enchanted by its presence...

If you feel i need to explain to you how I can classify you as a microsoft lovin goat worshippin pagan devil hippie.. lemmi know..
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

I have a few problems with xp. First why didnt they want their OS to support java. As one of the fastest growing languages, this seems like a stupid mistake on microsofts part. Next why does it not support ISA bus devices? My computer, which surpasses the requirements for XP, has two ISA slots one of which is used for my modem to free up a pci slot for a 3d video card. Finally I heard it doesnt support the new usb standards. This combined with high cost, and mandatory product activation sways me against this new product.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19

Well

Preacher, XP Professional doesn't support ISA devices XP Home does. Problem is also that XP Pro doesn't want to support legacy devices (dos drivers and all) cause DOS isnt built in it just runs under emulation, XP Home will support ISA devices and legacy devices but XP Pro doesn't. And yes it does support the new USB (v2.0).
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

I have a 1.4 AMD with 512 Megs of memory ..... and I run XP just fine. Of course, I got rid of my BETA and my friend got me a Corporate Version so I don't have to worry about the authentication codes.

I never liked Windows 98 or 98SE - I always considered them poorly patched versions of 95B and 95C. Always had video driver problems, soundcard/modem conflicts, etc. Just a major headache.

I don't mind RedHat or Mandrake - but I really don't need that server power. Not hosting anything here, and I'm not all that "enthralled" with Star Office or Corel Office.

I like my MAC too though (G4) - it's the only thing I'd consider doing any graphics or video editing on. Windows and Linux - sorry. Neither of you do what the MAC can do in the graphics and video arena. Don't even come close, probably won't for some time to come.

I'm pretty non-committal (probably why I'm not married yet - who wants commitment?) - I use what's best for what I want to do. Being a Linux or Windows or a MAC bigot is narrow-minded and narrow-focused .... I'm open minded.

Simply Astrid ......
    or sometimes just \"Simple Astrid!\"

Question Ambush????

Hey evilseed, do you actually have XP or any problems with it at all? It seems to me that you've made this thread just to weed out all the windows lovers out there and then try to convert them to linux.

All I can say is keep up the good work.

Red face Windows XP

Interesting Thread....

I purchased XP Pro but I did not use It
    I got the XP corp off the net because I did
    not want M$ to follow everything I do and
    I hated the Idea of online activation.
    and having to re-activate if I change stuff around.

BTW my system uses an ISA sound card
    and it runs great... Better than ME
    I use a 1.2 gig Athlon and 640 megs of ram

But the following problems are cropping up
    My older HP 7200 series burner is making coasters not cd's
    and my desktop scanner will not work right...
    Video is dimmer on my games.... I have to figure out that setting.
    Lost Kodak Imaging...(grrrr!)
    I have to go to every software MFG and get an XP update..
    Bug in VurusScan 6 for XP (lost all my e-mail) DOUBLE GRRRR!

Had to use a command line to convert from FAT 32 to NTFS
    That is not user frendly.....

Home Edition has to many issues including no NetBoui

Talking

Bah, I have the best of all worlds.
    I love my Windows, Linux, and Mac workstations. If I can't find something on one, I go to the other. Yeah, having a workstation for almost every possible OS and brand may seem a little expensive, but it's the perks of my job. I get first pick of left over PC parts. My whole living room is computers and the big screen TV for movies. Girlfriend hates it, but oh well

So, I'm a Windows/Linux/Mac lover. One of the few mutants that lurk this board I guess. I just need a 4th OS to add to my collection, some Unix workstations are starting to look good

Oh yeah, the topic, Windows XP runs just fine on the PIII450 256MB RAM workstation I have. I have to admit, I turned off about every pretty thing in the OS, was kind of odd after working on the neatly organized KDE or Win2k desktop.

I have XP Pro running on a
    PII 350MHz
    128MB SDRAM
    Savage 4 32MB Vid Card.

And it runs like a dream.

Its got XP Plus! installed on it along with Office XP and there has been not one major problem with it yet. It runs faster than Windows 98SE did on the box, and a shitload faster than Windows NT did.

The only slight problem is that the searching for files or folders on XP sucks major ass.. for starters that dog is just annoying.. and I attempted to search a folder for a document containign the string INT 21h... every document in the folder had that string in it at least 12 times... it did not find it once...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Originally posted by Matty Cross
    I have XP Pro running on a
    PII 350MHz
    128MB SDRAM
    Savage 4 32MB Vid Card.

And it runs like a dream.

Its got XP Plus! installed on it along with Office XP and there has been not one major problem with it yet. It runs faster than Windows 98SE did on the box, and a shitload faster than Windows NT did.

The only slight problem is that the searching for files or folders on XP sucks major ass.. for starters that dog is just annoying.. and I attempted to search a folder for a document containign the string INT 21h... every document in the folder had that string in it at least 12 times... it did not find it once...
    The XP login screen got to you didnt it?
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by evilseed

The XP login screen got to you didnt it?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EvilSeed, while the XP login screen kept me entertained for ohhh say 3 seconds, as soon as you join your copy of XP to a domain, it reverts to the good old Win2k login screen.

Also, to anyone who cares, if you don't like the XP login, you can press Control-Alt-Delete to switch it to the Win2K login. Although why you would want to do that rather than just type your password in I don't know.

Stupid point: When go to shutdown or logoff from XP, the screen fades to grey. When you actually click logoff or shutdown, the colour comes back into windows..
    Why?? Pointless prettiness which is poorly implemented!!!!
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"