Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WiNDoWS XP and its Performance.

i've been using xp build2600 for more than a month. i thought product activation will show up after a month? is this for real? or am i supposed to reformat again? hope not..
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

uhh

windows xp.. man run.. RUN WHILE you CAN!!!

dont get me wrong i dont hate windows xp or n e thing?

I mean who could hate a program that has practically cost me my life, my girlfriend, and a cd-r (I burned it on cd-r GRRR!!!)

by the way the thing about my life and girlfriend may be a lil bit exaggerated..
    ------------EViLSEED
    Hackers are impervious. Resistant is futile.

I have to add my two cents here.

I think XP Pro is a quite solid OS. I have the following setup:

P2 300
    192 MB RAM
    Voodoo 3 vid w/ 16 MB Ram
    6 GB HDD.

yeah, my system is rather old. But, I did a clean install of XP, and it runs like a champ. Clean install is the way to go...upgrading isn't going to cure any lingering problems.

So, if XP runs this well on a P2-300, I can't imagine what it runs like on a properly config'd P4.

WinME ran terrible on my machine... Win2K Pro ran just fine. XP Pro is a step in the right direction I think. No OS will ever be perfect...so we just have to choose which one better suits our individual needs.

Those, my friends, are my 2 cents.....

J

Originally posted by Sonics42ny
    I have to add my two cents here.

I think XP Pro is a quite solid OS. I have the following setup:

P2 300
    192 MB RAM
    Voodoo 3 vid w/ 16 MB Ram
    6 GB HDD.

yeah, my system is rather old. But, I did a clean install of XP, and it runs like a champ. Clean install is the way to go...upgrading isn't going to cure any lingering problems.

So, if XP runs this well on a P2-300, I can't imagine what it runs like on a properly config'd P4.

WinME ran terrible on my machine... Win2K Pro ran just fine. XP Pro is a step in the right direction I think. No OS will ever be perfect...so we just have to choose which one better suits our individual needs.

Those, my friends, are my 2 cents.....

J
    How much is microsoft paying you to say that? HUH?! CMON MAN!!! WE KNOW YOUR LINKS!!! BWAHAHAHHA

I dunno.. im at work.. work gets to me..
    i try to overdose on sodas...
    my life is pathetic..
    but at least im WiReD...
    Bless Caffeeeeeiiinnneeeee

AAAaaaAaahHHhHHh

heart stopped......

............................. Wuh.. Ahhhhhh There it goes.. ok.. bye.. heh
    Hippies
    ------------EViLSEED

Now if we were to do a performance test on linux box running KDE and then run a windows xp box.. Which one would be more reliable?

If you answered LINUX.. You are right....

If you answered Windows.. Then your a microsoft lovin hippie.

See.. Let me explain this...

Ever since the beginning of time.. there has been microsoft.. *Or was it 1981.. I can remember...

Microsoft has decided to create these.. "Hippies"

How is one created you ask?

simple...
    That simple fading in microsoft xp bootup screen actually is coded inside and out with microsoft subliminal messages..

Here are a few that I have encoded through "Sneakernet"

1. (You are now a microsoft lovin hippie)

2. (You will buy every microsoft OS and Application to date on the date of release)

3. (You will gloat on how ignorant you are to be a microsoft hippie)

4. (Open Source Sucks ass... Your a hippie.. Hippies buy microsoft.)

5. (Linux is bad.. It has bad performance regardless of what those benchmark tests may show.)

6. (Evilseed is a bad bad man. Send him microsoft based trojans and virii..)

These are just a few of the many subliminal messages I have encoded? Dont believe me? Boot to a dos prompt.. type deltree c:\windows its f00kin amazing.. now someone better reply.. and i hope its a hippie..

-=(*HippIeS*)=-
    HiPPiES
    ------------EViLSEED

Talking

Hehehehehe

man that totaly makes sence, no wonder Madonna was singing for the Xp Comercial Pluse all those people flying all over my screen

That explains the hole thing Thanks evilseed !!!

-=SolarisMKA=-

Originally posted by evilseed
    Now if we were to do a performance test on linux box running KDE and then run a windows xp box.. Which one would be more reliable?

If you answered LINUX.. You are right....

If you answered Windows.. Then your a microsoft lovin hippie.

See.. Let me explain this...

Ever since the beginning of time.. there has been microsoft.. *Or was it 1981.. I can remember...

Microsoft has decided to create these.. "Hippies"

How is one created you ask?

simple...
    That simple fading in microsoft xp bootup screen actually is coded inside and out with microsoft subliminal messages..

Here are a few that I have encoded through "Sneakernet"

1. (You are now a microsoft lovin hippie)

2. (You will buy every microsoft OS and Application to date on the date of release)

3. (You will gloat on how ignorant you are to be a microsoft hippie)

4. (Open Source Sucks ass... Your a hippie.. Hippies buy microsoft.)

5. (Linux is bad.. It has bad performance regardless of what those benchmark tests may show.)

6. (Evilseed is a bad bad man. Send him microsoft based trojans and virii..)

These are just a few of the many subliminal messages I have encoded? Dont believe me? Boot to a dos prompt.. type deltree c:\windows its f00kin amazing.. now someone better reply.. and i hope its a hippie..

-=(*HippIeS*)=-
    HiPPiES
    rofl
    -=SolarisMKA=-

F@k XP

Hey Evilseed...

I agree with you about XP...
    It runs slow because of all the new and allegedly improved interface... wait... did I say interface? I meant headache... sorry...

Anyway, if you're not going to use Linux (I would if I had the time to work it out) stick with Win2k because the only true advantage of XP is 'protected mode' which most of you won't need anyway.

The colours are annoying...
    The help on everything is just lame...
    It costs a small fortune...
    It chews up hardware...
    so... Why?

BTW I use 2000
    WE ARE the anti cancer...
    WE ARE the only answer...
    email

Christ on a bike!
    Some people on here are so dumb it's criminal.
    If you don't like the look of XP just change the display settings, so it uses the Windows 2000 style interface, or haven't you worked out how to right-click on the desktop yet?
    There seem to be a lot of wannabes on here who seem to think that bad mouthing anything Microsoft does makes them a l33t h4x0r.
    I've always wondered if it is a pre-requisite to becoming l33t to slag off MS.
    It's as though someone once published the "How to become a l33t h4x0r" check list and at the top of list was "In order to become a l33t h4x0r you must hate Microsoft."

The daftest thing about this topic is that evilseed bad mouths Microsoft with such a passion you can just see him shooting his airgun at pictures of bill gates, but he admits that he uses MS products. Then fiend says he agrees but can't get his head around Linux, so doesn't use it. What a cop out.
    Here's some advice :
    Try reading up on Linux, ask some questions on here in the Linux forum if you must.
    Then when you are ready format your hard disk and install a copy of Linux on it.
    There you go no more nightmares about having to use an inferior MS product.

On second thoughts, perhaps the daftest thing about this topic is that I even bothered to get involved in it.
    I must be drunk.

so.. will microsoft really show my product activation after i've been using winxp for a month? i think i've been using winxp for more than a month. why didnt it showed up? i'm using winxp build2600. and if it did show up, where would i get a crack?
    When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. - Sherlock Holmes

i am NOT a hacker :Þ

Thumbs down

I have also experienced performance problems with XP, having got my XP Home with a fresh install on my 500AMD machine with 512Mb RAM, I have found it to drag and perform slowly compared to how it performed with 98 or NT4.
    Even though it is a bit slow I will say however it is stable and generally I am happy, not with the firewall but that is another story.
    I have set it up on a test machine and blasted it when finished I put in my Me boot disk and formatted the drive no problems and then installed Me again.

So my opinion is not perfect, but they are getting better.
    If I had a faster machine I dont think it would drag so I will have to put up with it until I get something faster.