Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hotmail password storage

can those saved passwords be hacked/stolen? bc i use autocomplete all the time, so i'm a lil curious if there's a problem with that?
    Bradley Lamar

Yes, they can be stolen...
    Some trojans have features to grab the passwords, I think Back Orifice can.... Don't know about Sub7, I've never looked at it....

Banned
    simple fact: if its stored or saved on your HDD, it can be stolen; just grab any trogan with a file browse feature

Post for obi

Best obi,

The *.pwl files are NOT of hotmail or anything else concerning the internet. These are just the passwd files of the local user accounts. And one doesn't need them to do anything. When one logs on locally on a win98 ( by example) machine, he can press Esc at the logon dialog. then just open explorer, goto %systemroot% and rename admin.pwl to admin.zzz, logoff and logon as administrator with a clear passwd. It's not security, it's just done to give ppl the impression it is.

Grtz,

Ahhh Microsoft...

Security through Obscurity...

If you want to clear out the password cache and user names, open your IE, go to TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, then click the tab CONTENT. You'll see under personal information a tab called AUTOCOMPLETE. SImply uncheck the 'User names and passwords on forms' then click the button below to clear passwords. It might not be a bad idea to also clear out the Tempaorary Internet Folder of the cached files and cookies. Hope this helps.
    Regards,
    Geno

\"Disciples, like diamonds, are developed in a process of time and heavy pressures, and both the disciple and the diamond reflect and magnify the light that comes through them.\"

Neal A. Maxwell

Awwww.. I think I hurt Bad_N3wz feelings...

Earnt me some negative antipoints for posting on this thread......

Oh well, mebe calling bad_n3wz a tool was a out of place... tools are usefull.......

oh, and Bad_N3wz, I am assuming its you who gave me the points, coz your one I addressed....

I don't live anywhere near mount druit.... if I lived any further away, I would be living in the ocean...

Cool

Never ever use autocomplete. I personally like using the same password on a lot of things on the internet that I am not afraid of getting messed with through. That way I never have to remember about 60 different passwords and there is no use for autocomplete. Of course mix it up because with just one password everyone will be able to get into everything that is yours.
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19