Thread: Question

Question Question

I came to this site because I got some disturbing news. I have been informed that my ex has somehow been able to get access to my email and I am concerned that this may just be the beginning. The thing is is that we now live in separate cities and I changed my password to something that I don't think he could ever figure out. I want to know if something like that is even possible and if so how do I stop this invasion of privacy, or something worse!

You want to put a mix of caps, lower-case, and numbers in your password. Try to stay away from common words as well. Using a language other that English would be recommended. It's also a good idea to mix special characters too if your provider will accept them. Make sure you have a way to fall back if you find it won't. My Yahoo password at one point was a mix of Russian, Hebrew, and Korean charcters, but Yahoo didn't like that too much.

Any password is crackable, but if you do what I said, the only way he will be able to crack it would be with an AWESOME brute force crack, which would probably still be running when you're old and senile.

I did something simular thats why I can't understand how it's happening! And he's not a computer wiz or anything. Thanks for your answer, I appreciate your advise.

You should also firewall your PC. He may not be a computer whiz, but there are software tools out there that allow even the dumbest people to hack. If you want a free one, go to www.download.com and search for either ZoneAlarm, or Tiny. ZoneAlarm is easier to use, but Tiny is more secure in my opinion. Both will stop script kiddie attacks.

Could be a trojan.....Have you ever considered good virus protection? Norton Anti-Virus 2002.

Stflook and limp, thanks so much for your advise. I am going to apply your suggestions. Again, thanks...

Originally posted by limp1058
    Could be a trojan.....Have you ever considered good virus protection? Norton Anti-Virus 2002.
    I find it very hard to believe that somebody could use a trojan to acquire an e-mail account password. As far a personal machines, though, it's very possible. If you decide to get or improve your virus protection, Norton is indeed a very good scanner. You should go for the corporate edition if you can. You can also get McAfee, but I don't like its engine as much, and it has absolutely the worst possible default settings. Norton is (in my opinion anyway) the best choice for the not-so-experienced user.

Question

Is this your own personal email at home, or web-based email you can access from anywhere?