Thread: Emacs problems

Emacs problems

I'm writing in Java using emacs on my Windows ME box and it's giving me attitude when I try to compile code using either the menu commands or the C-c C-v C-c keystroke. I went throught the customization options and found where to specify the compile command (javac) and I did that and added my JDK directory to the PATH line in autoexec.bat, so I know that the problem isn't the command. The problem is that it's giving the path to the current buffer incorrectly. For example, if the file I'm working on is c:\emacs\foo\Bar.Java, the command issued by emacs should be javac c:\emacs\foo\Bar.Java, but it issues it as javac "c:/emacs/foo/" Bar.java. With this command, the part issed outside quotes is regarded as an argument rather than part of the file name. Any suggestions on how to tell emacs how to specify the file to compile? Also, it gives file paths using forward slashes. Any way to change this?
    From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need.

i could be wrong but i think its doing the forward slashes bc emac is designed for a *nix system
    not sure how to help you on this one, sowwy
    Bradley Lamar

Cool

Does emacs provide a good java compiler? I am using JCreator Le and JDK 1.3.1. I have also tried Forte for Java, but it is very confusing, slow, and a resource hog. Try compiling java through the command prompt on your windows me machine. Just write out your code as a text file then save it as a .java extension. Then try this at command prompt.

c:\>javac first.java
    c:\>java first

assuming that there are no errors your program should compile correctly
    Wine maketh merry: but money answereth all things.
    --Ecclesiastes 10:19