Thread: questionable apps trying to get net access...

Question questionable apps trying to get net access...

ok, im running win2k. im on a lan at my college dorm. i have some network shares(no worries about getting hacked cause 99% of the people at my school have problems finding the power button on a pc). i just downloaded zone alarm yesterday(until then i was too lazy). ok...i have one app named "Services and Controller app" listening to udp port 1026. i assume that has something to do with file sharing cause yesterday i killed off its net access and people couldnt connect to the shares on my pc(i had my brother check it out) and when i alowed it to be a server in my local subnet they could again. that program is "C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe". the other program is "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"(C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe). this is the one i am more worried about...it isnt doing anything right now(not trying to connect or act as a server) but i see it several times in my ZA log file. ill c'n'p the lines from the log that apply:

PE,2001/10/30,02:42:57 -5:00 GMT,Generic Host Process for Win32 Services,0.0.0.0:0,N/A
    PE,2001/10/30,14:14:55 -5:00 GMT,Generic Host Process for Win32 Services,0.0.0.0:0,N/A

the strange part is that its trying to(i think) connect to "0.0.0.0" on port "0"...that just doesnt make any sence to me...

any help as to wtf these programs are/do would be appreaciated.
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

one more ZA question...why is ICQ listed as a server and AIM not...that seems a bit strange to me as i would think AIM would have to listen in order to recieve messages...
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Originally posted by 8*B@LL
    one more ZA question...why is ICQ listed as a server and AIM not...that seems a bit strange to me as i would think AIM would have to listen in order to recieve messages...
    I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure ICQ does direct connections for messaging, while AIM doesn't.

Hi mom!
    I think you're right stflook. If you try to send a message to someone, and it fails for some reason, icq asks you wether it should sent it 'trough server' ...

ok well thanks for that, but what about the first question...thats the one im more woried about
    -8-

services.exe
    This is the Services Control Manager, which is responsible for starting, stopping, and interacting with system services.

svchost (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services)
    This is a generic process, which acts as a host for other processes running from DLLs; therefore, don't be surprised to see more than one entry for this process. To see what processes are using Svchost.exe, use Tlist.exe from the Windows 2000 CD-ROM; the syntax is tlist -s at the command prompt.

That is information taken from a Technet article..
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q263/2/01.ASP
    it also has what some of the other applications are.....

I hope that helps you...