View Poll Results: What would you want to use..??

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • NIX

5 45.45%
  • WIN

2 18.18%
  • Lindows

3 27.27%
  • Other

1 9.09%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Abusive users.

Banned
    Originally posted by xraystan
    What's with all of this talk about kicking people off of the AO forums?
    Who is going to decide who gets kicked off and who stays?
    We've already had one example where Negative was selected by one person as someone who should be kicked off and by another as someone who should stay.
    Who is to say which one of them is right?
    This whole forum is becomming snobbish and elietist.
    I've been on this just about from it's conception (does that make me better than you?), and it was a lot smaller in those days with a lot less contributors.
    I thought that the more popular this place became the better it would be as more people would be able to share the knowedge.
    But it's just becoming one big slagging match.
    If you don't like what someone is posting then don't ****ing read it. It's only a dumb internet forum, it's not as if these people know who you are in real life. Don't take it so personal.

I'm still drunk and now I'm off for a Bob Marley special, I need to chill out a bit.
    Honesty prevails in time of drunkness.

Originally posted by xstonedogx

I agree with the defenses of Negative (by NoNeckJoe, Simon Templer, others...). He only flames the truly deserving (read: those who ask for it). He contributes valuable information, and ideas. That he should even be mentioned in a post about abusive users is ridiculous. If you hold such a "negative" opinion of Negative, please reconsider.

I don't believe the poll is asking about users such as Negative, but about users who have demonstrated neither a desire to share nor a desire to learn, while being very disruptive of others.

I didn't mean that Negative was an abusive user. I just stated that the users that usually ask stupid questions like "How do I hack hotmail", or question like that usually will get flamed by Negative and all the other longtime members. I just haven't seen any of his post recently so I was wondering where he was.

Sorry if I sounded like I was naming him an abusive user, that was not my intentions.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Smile Round 2

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to expand a little by commenting on a post.

What's with all of this talk about kicking people off of the AO forums?
    Who is going to decide who gets kicked off and who stays?
    We've already had one example where Negative was selected by one person as someone who should be kicked off and by another as someone who should stay.
    Who is to say which one of them is right?
    I've given this some thought...and I've come to the conclusion that it would be a really big mess to determine punishment for abusive users. They exsist on every forum, and like another member pointed out, it's not hard to create a new account. And now in contrary to my first post on this subject, I think deactivating accounts is a little extreme.

But that doesn't mean that a wrong deed should go unpunished and that certainly doesn't mean we can't create ways to alleviate the amount of abusive posts. As I've said in an earlier post, remove the General Chit Chat from being displayed on the main page, and use it as a "rant & rave" forum.

1) This whole forum is becomming snobbish and elietist.
    I've been on this just about from it's conception (does that make me better than you?), and it was a lot smaller in those days with a lot less contributors.
    2)I thought that the more popular this place became the better it would be as more people would be able to share the knowedge.
    But it's just becoming one big slagging match.
    3)If you don't like what someone is posting then don't ****ing read it. It's only a dumb internet forum, it's not as if these people know who you are in real life. Don't take it so personal.
    4)I'm still drunk and now I'm off for a Bob Marley special, I need to chill out a bit.
    I've numbered this argument so I can address each part.

#1 - I must respectfully disagree with you...I haven't observed the "snobbish & elietest" attitudes that you speak of. I can only assume that you are referrring to stflook, myself, and maybe a few others who have driven this whole "kick abusive users off AO" thread. If that is the case, then I'd like to think I speak for the others who share my opinion when I say, that this is not self righteous raving. I have yet to observe any member who thought they were above the others. The sole purpose of this "remove the abusive users" campaign is to make AO forums a better place.

#2 - Again, I don't see your reasoning...I again assume that you are referring to this thread where alot of "heated & tense" discussion has been "stirring" that may seem like a "big slagging match". Overall, I think members have done a great job of sharing information. I've also been a visitor to AO for a long time (although, I recently become a member), and I think that there has been some really great meetings of the minds here. There have been alot of great tutorials contributed by members, as well as alot of thoughtful, and intelligent discussion. The purpose, I think, of this thread is to take action against those who have "clogged" the forums with absolutely useless posts, which make it hard for people who are trying to learn, to sort through the threads which have enticing and seemingly legitimate thread names, but contain off-subject or useless content. It is those "abusive" users" which I am battling against.

#3 - Please take a close a look at your statements: In #3 you say: "It's only a dumb internet forum" and "Don't take it so personal"; now look at statement #4 which says "I need to chill out a bit." I notice a contridiction. My question to you:

Why do you need to chill out? This is just a "dumb internet forum", right? Did you, perhaps, take it as personal, as we have with abusive users?

I think this all "boils down" into a "battle" between those who treat communication over the internet as real-interpersonal communication, and those who don't... But that is of course, just my opinion.
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha