Thread: VirtualPC, security problems?

VirtualPC, security problems?

I use VirtualPC 4.0. I have heard it is not as stable or secure as actually using a PC, which makes sense. However, I guess it would also depend on the OS you are using. Anyway, I posted another thread about security concerns, which no one has responded to. What kind of security concerns are there with emulators? And how stable is VirtualPC? I recently upgraded to a cable connection, and I am increasingly worried about security because of it.

Banned

VMWARE

ive never used VirtualPC, but im guessing its like VMWare wich is a very helpfull PC emulator....
    running a virtual machine in VMWare is like running a physical machine. The only aditional security concerns are exploits in the ACTUAL emulation program, just like any other program it has its bugs and these bugs are updated, just keep reading up on exploits for VirtualPC and im sure it will be very secure.

That is also a very good way to learn about network and security, try to break into that machine w. your regular machine, it will test your skill and its very legal!

, good luck

Thank you. Another question. If I install a program like PortSentry in VirtualPC, how does that affect the Mac? Will it block attacks against the Mac? I would guess it would since it uses the same ports, but I'm not sure exactly how it works. These may seem like dumb questions, but I'm only knowledgable about web site design, so bear with me.

Banned
    Each virtual machine has its own IP address, therefore you would have to install it on that virtual machine and it would protect it and it only, not the other machines or virtual mochines, think of it as a network of computers but all in one

It depends alot on how u have it set up.