Thread: nutella?

nutella?

my school has blocks on downloading mp3s via nutella network. i was wandering how they do it? are they blocking common ports that are used, or what?

Hello you ...

It could effectevely be a port blocking, which drop any connection attempted to port known to belong to that applications. Or they can also block traffic to certain hosts.

Modern firewalls can also drop connections based on content (they find something looking exactly like a G-Nutella connection into data and drop it)

Jean-Francois

Blocking ports is the only way I can think of to effectively disable Gnutella on their networks. They're probably doing that.

I can't believe your administrator even knows how to do that. The network administrator at my school busts out the Norton Ghost software for things as petty as driver issues. Yes, the network at my school is a joke.

There is actualy a couple of ways to block gnutella. One is to clober it at the head end router, the other is with a firewall package like Firewall1 which can do content filtering. There is a 3rd way which won't block gnutella but will effectively make it not work. And that is to do rate shapping of the ip packets. Basicly rate shapping allows you to specify the amount of band-width for certain ports and/or applications. If you therotled back gnutella to say 8k, the client would spend all day just trying to make a connection, and when it did, it would be like surfing a real real real slow web site. Being a network manager at Central Michigan University, i've had to clobber gnutella because the students were using almost 100mb of my OC3 (155mb) connection just on sharing out mp3's! I didn't like it, but that was the only way we could keep up Internet connectivity for the rest of campus. I'm pretty sure your school had to do the same thing for the same reason.

Originally posted by stflook
    I can't believe your administrator even knows how to do that.
    It might be the upstream provider blocking the ports as well. The ISP I used to work for would block ports for companies or organizations that asked us to. that way the data wouldn't even go down the pipe.