Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: External/internal modems

External/internal modems

This isnt so much of a security related topic. I ordered an external modem today and I was wondering what some of the advantages and disadvantages of using one are. I need it to connect my linux OS to the net. Thanx. Peace.
    [shadow]Prepare ship for ludicrous speed![/shadow]

I think that internals use more resoruces than externals
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Banned
    lekt0r, it IS security related

One of the advantages of an external modem is that you can keep an eye on the LEDs, thus preventing malicious websites (there's no need to go into detail here, is there?) to disconnect your modem and reconnect it to an obscure foreign number...

I don't even know of any disadvantages... unlesss if it's a winmodem...

Preferable?

Which would be more preferable, an internal or external modem?
    Preliminary operational tests were inconclusive (the dang thing blew up)

\"Ask not what the kernel can do for you, ask what you can do for the kernel!\"

Internal modems are known as Winmodems. They use more software than hardware to connect. This is all fine and dandy when you're playing around with Winblows Operating Systems but once you decide to get serious and install Linux you'll find that your modem doesn't work.

There are a few patches around to try and rectify this problem but as Im only a Linux newbie it seems rather complicated. It's much simplier to just buy an external modem. Not only to you get the benefit of being able to run it under both Linux and the inferior Windoze but you get all those pretty little lights flashing on your desktop. Those pretty little lights can come in handy if want to tell if your modems "hanging" or if you've been disconnected etc..

So always stick with an external.......

Internal modems are known as Winmodems.
    Sorry, that's not completely true. What determines whether it is a winmodem or not depends on whether it uses hardware or software to do the digital to analog conversions. Winmodems rely on software to do this. non-winmodems have a hardware DAC on board. I have an internal modem (pci Callwaiting modem made by ActionTec). It is NOT a winmodem.
    Hope this clears some of the misconceptions up.

Happy Hacking
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Warfare is the Way of deception.
    -Sun Tzu \"The Art of War\"

I've made a test using internal and external modem (same speed 56k). The result, external modem more faster than internal modem. I don't know why. But I prefer using external one because I can watch all the incoming and outgoing bytes by LED blinking.

Originally posted by gaxprels

Sorry, that's not completely true. What determines whether it is a winmodem or not depends on whether it uses hardware or software to do the digital to analog conversions.
    Happy Hacking
    I stand corrected. I just assumed that all internals were Winmodems. I have only ever dealt with Conexant internal modems and all of these types of have been Winmodems.

I'm using a Zoom 56K and I can usually connect at 50-53K every time. We have another computer that had a US robotics 56K external and most of the time mine connected faster. I don't think that it bothers it too much if its internal or external.

Internals also take up a slot in the computer that could be used for something else. It just depends onwhat your perference is.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

All you need to know to make most lame winmodems work in linux

http://www.linmodems.org/

syxx@attrition.org