Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Understanding hackers

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Talking

Excellent post! Certainly shows the division of user types within the "security industry".

I was wondering if you could clarify the "grey hat" user. My understanding was someone who is a white hat but accepts or does activities occassionally that a black hat might, e.g., takes software home that belongs to the company and make copies or put backdoors on systems they are supposed to monitor.

Banned
    I just have one qualm with the post: not all virus writers are malicious, some just do it for fun or to learn about viruses
    Well, Kezil I agree and basically I didnt include this as I was just giving a general overview of the hacking culture.
    I suppose there is some good in virus programming as far as learning is concerned but the simple intent of this malicious code dosent allow me to write good things about virus programmers.
    I will add this to the origanal post.

from what ive heard, most of the bigger(more common) virii are written by students who are trying to understand system vulnerabilites and how they are exploited. the thing is you have to think that alot of the stuff students write is never released into the wild...be glad, i bet there are some engenious virii that are just sittin on sombody's pc, never to see the net.
    Arent we lucky these virii don't fall into the wrong hands...

I was wondering if you could clarify the "grey hat" user. My understanding was someone who is a white hat but accepts or does activities occassionally that a black hat might, e.g., takes software home that belongs to the company and make copies or put backdoors on systems they are supposed to monitor.
    I will add this to the origanal post to give people a second opinion on the Grey Hat Hacker.

Thanks for the input Ill update the post now.

Banned
    Anyone else have any opinions on the post before it is confined to the lost pages of Antionline?