Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Browser...

Best Browser...

What do you think would be the best browser for a 56k connection? Or, what's your personal favorite?
    Why am I still here?

If I didn't have Internet Explorer, I would definitely choose Opera.

Arrow

If you are on 56k, the nice thing about Opera is that you can turn images off easily (unlike IE where they hid that stuff) significantly speeding up the loading time of things at you just want to read and don't care about the pretty pictures.
    \"If you torture the data enough, it will confess.\" --Ronald Coase

Geez, in IE, 3 clicks, 1 scroll, click and you're done... Not that hard either

Ammo

Whats with all those clicks?

I just downloaded Opera and I like it...except for that damn ad at the top. But its hardly different from IE. Oh well.
    Why am I still here?

I suppose it really depends on what you want a broswer for. I am biased, because I am into web design, but here are my opinions.
    IE- Version 5 was relatively fast, didn't include unneccesary features, but horrible at code compliance. Version 6 looks to really improve that, so it could be great.
    Netscape- 6 is just really, really bad. I don't love any versions, because of all the extra crap nobody uses, but 6 is worse. However, code compliance in all the later browsers is strict, almost too much. I do prefer the image capabilties over IE.
    icab- Only for Mac users, my browser of choice. Fast, compact, and relatively compliant.
    Mozilla- The Gecko engine is really, really nice for complance. If you ever use CSS, Mozilla is beatiful. However, most browsers aren't as nice, so it can be misleading.
    Opera- Fast, compliant, but I haven't used it much, so I can't make many comments.

Opera is a very good piece of software, IMO. I switched to it after I got tired of slow loading in IE 5 and the occasional crash. I would wholeheartedly recommend Opera as being better than IE except for one tiny thing...

It seems that Opera doesn't display some pages quite the same. The fault is probably IE's, for using not-standard ways of working, but it seems to me like Opera 5.12 does NOT care about the topmargin and leftmargin properties of the <BODY> tag, which makes my site look bad. Furthermore, it doesn't do Hotmail very well. That's why I keep IE installed, even if I use opera most of the time.

Bottom line: Try out Opera. The banner ads aren't too bad, either, they don't get in your way, unlike some free services.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Most of us in the UK are still stuck with 56k dialups at home.
    I tend to use IE 5.5 most of the time (as a browser for home use there is not really anything wrong with it), although I also have Netscape 6.1 & Opera 5.12 on my PC which I use from time to time. Don't use Outlook/Outlook express for my mail though

I like Opera, just because it's different from the common internet browsers. I also am for some reason attracted to there GUI interface. Plus it's FREEEEE!

Post Re: Best Browser...

Alcatraz: I don't think the connection speed has got so much to do with the browser... If you have got an old computer then choose Opera. Otherwise Netscape 6 is quite fast and nice.

stflook: Oh man... Do you really knuckle under Microsoft's monopoly? Do NOT use IE if you don't like it! Be against them and GET the Opera!

ammo: You also have to find the places where to click...

Terr: Those "margin" -attributes do NOT belong into official html (any version), they are just invented by M$. You should run your page through some validator. Also check this place to see which tags are official and which not.

-ZeroOne and what's the code for a flame, oh, yes, :!
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25