Thread: Os

Lightbulb Os

can any one tell me where i can get som info on how to write an bad ass OS thanxs X,
    I am an up and coming “Hacker” whom wants to take the malicious thoughts that stupid “LamErs” think that just because mommy and daddy bought them a new dell with windowsME”=Ø” that they can download BO or netbus and “hack” and be “3ll3t” I want to know as much as I can and never stop learning how to stop the “3ll1t”

Writing an Operating System? Wow. You have very high goals. Not many people try to or succeed in writing badass Os's. Do you have any programming knowledge? Cause that would be a good thing to have.
    Why am I still here?

xremote expressed a desire to write his own OS:
    can any one tell me where i can get som info on how to write an bad ass OS thanxs X,

Good on ya mate. I never got to writing my own OS from scratch but I did build my own 8088 Microprocessor complete with a 4Kbyte BIOS. This was based on an excellent book by Robert Grossblatt

'The 8088 Project Book' TAB BOOKS Inc. ISBN 0-8306-3171-2

Things have moved on since the 80's single mode processor model and some smart kid called Linus Torvalds kicked the build your own OS revolution off in 1991 aka LINUX. (based on POSIX)

There are plenty of sites documenting the LINUX project... but maybe start off small, eh? and build your way up.

Small Linux Project

URL ... http://www.superant.com/smalllinux/

If you fancy re-living the good old DOS days then the entire OS source code from Digital Research's DR-DOS is available from Caldera.

Another good book to help you along is

'Modern Operating Systems' by Andrew S. Tanenbaum , Prentice-Hall International ISBN: 0-13-595752-4

PZ

Re: Os

Originally posted by xremote
    Obviously you've got big expectations. I'd try starting small, say writing some much needed printer and modem drivers for Linux, before trying to make your own OS from scrach.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Good idea. While your at it make me a lin-driver for my modem blaster. There aren't any good drivers for it, I looked.

Ask Why?

\"The most incomprehensible thing about the world, is that it is at all comprehensible\" -Albert Einstein

Talking Re: Os

Originally posted by xremote

Bill? Is that you? You don't fool me Mr Gates! I thought you were happy @ MIcro$oft? Especially with the release of XP. Oh well.........

Anyway, before you build your new "bad ass OS" perhaps you could write me up something simple that will configure winmodems to run under Linux. Thanks Mr Gates..